Chapter 3-Plans that Bring Fear

When Ares is finally out of sight, grandmother drags me inside and places me on a rickety stool before the fire. In a rush, she goes up the stairs, no doubt to tell my mother the wonderful news. Lucas quickly grabs a handkerchief, and lovingly brushes away the tears making their way down my cheeks. I already know what she must be saying, crowing to my mother that Chief Ikar's nineteen summers old son had carried me home like a blushing Mer bride. 

How cruel the mothers are, now grandmother has a reason to use me as her tool. I keep silent, and watch the flames crack and pop in the sea rock fireplace. Lucas continues his ministrations, helping me braid my hair with the flimsy brown ribbons that father gave me when I was ten.

All the while, mother and grandmother plot up stairs. Whispers of having a dress made and jewelry to be found, filter through the driftwood ceiling, and leave me fearful of what will come. The young males officially arriving in the village, the grand ceremony followed by feasting and dancing.

I shudder to think of it, though I will admit the dancing is the only thing I like about it. Though mother doesn't help protect me from grandmother. She was adamant with her that I don't do a provocative dance like the others. Grandmother for once relenting, allowing me to make my own, and hopefully keep males from wanting me. But that's all ruined now, thanks to Ares.

Sniffing, I brush away my tears and head over to the window seat that I turned into my bed. The lumpy cot piled with moth eaten blankets, and thin pillows. Lucas follows suite, gently tucking me in before pushing his cot next to the window seat. We burrow into our blankets as our relations conspire above.

As they quiet down, I snake my hand out of my cocoon and wrap it around my brother's. We clasp our palms together, a silent assurance that we are in this together. Like me, he is not ready for what is to come. After the mating season he will have to leave to learn about being a true grown Mer, now that he is fourteen summers old. I don't want him to leave, my precious baby brother is one of the closest friends that I have.

With unforgiving grips, we go to sleep. Lucas immediately closing his eyes and forgetting about the world for the time being. I however, stay awake. Watching the sandy shore beyond my window, hoping that my father would appear from the sea. Wishing that he was here, to save me from this fate that I fear will tear me apart.