Chapter 47-A Tussle in the Street

I stay calm and composed, even as the human coughs up bubbles of blood onto the ground. His hacking breaths mixing with the melody of metal sliding across oiled leather. My vision focusing on his comrades, blocking out their raging curses as they charge me, weapons raised and ready to kill.

The one on my left gets to me first, aiming for my neck with a viscous swing, that slices nothing but air as I duck and throw myself forward. My skirts flapping in the breeze as I greet the earth. I don't have time to catch my breath before the second man appears above me. His eyes wild with fury, a gleaming knife in each hand. His body towering over me with menace, but still vulnerable as a hatchling.

I give him a cold smile, showing him a flash of razor sharp teeth, as I raise my leg and swiftly kick my foot into his family jewels. The male's eyes go wide as he drops his knives and falls to his knees. His blades quickly forgotten as he clutches his crotch, face white with unrelenting pain.

I take my chance, quickly jumping to my feet and grabbing hold of the twin daggers. Just as the razor edge of a sword comes crashing down towards my head. I bring up the blades, swiftly crossing them and blocking the human's weapon from slicing my skin.

I strain and tighten my grip as the male bears his weight down upon the daggers. Muscles bulging in his pale neck, teeth grinding in frustration as I refuse to relent to his will. My breath becomes strained, as the reality of the corset hugging my ribs comes back to haunt me. The tenuous seconds tick by, as we both plant our feet firmly into the ground.

Limbs like iron, knuckles turning white around the hilts of our blades. Gazes locked in a battle of wits, knowing full well that whoever backs down. Will be the one tasting the metallic broth of coiling steel and boiling blood. However, I have no time to stare him down, for his partner will recover and soon.

Sucking in a greedy gulp of air, I grind my heels into the ground, and call upon the glowing ember of festering rage deep inside my gut. As I thrust the blades forward, I let out a roar of fury as the male stumbles back in horrified shock. I give him no time to ready his sword, knives in hand I charge him. Raking one blade into his side, while using the other to slice into the meat of his sword arm.

The blows bring him to the ground, his sword falling to the dirt as he bellows like a wounded boar. Clutching his side with his good arm, rivulets of red begin to drip from his sliced flesh. I watch the display with disgust, finding the sight sickening to see. But it is a lesson well earned for this male, one that he will remember until his dying day. His eyes alone tell me that, dirt brown specks filled with fear as they take me in. Staring at my wild hair, ruffled clothes, and the ravenous fury caged behind my gaze of deepest speckled brown.

"What are you?" he asks in disbelief, his voice trembling like a sapling in a storm. Unnerved by his question, I step back and glance over at Ares. The blond human girl, shaking in his gentle hold. Her face red from crying, a fresh bruise blossoming on her pale cheek. I scan the rest of the street, finding wide eyed humans leaning out of windows and shop doors.

Watching me with a mixture of curiosity, wonder, and fear. Waiting for me to answer, even as one man lies dead, one cradling his pride, and another gazing up at the one whose painted the street scarlet with his blood.

I turn back to the male, watching as fearful tears threaten to trail down his face. Steeling my nerves, tamping down the heady feeling filling my veins. I take one of the knives, and use the pointed edge to bring up the male's chin as I lean down towards his face.

"I am a legend," I say, my teeth slowly turning deathly sharp in my mouth. "I am what haunts your dreams. I am a myth made real." I remove the knife from his chin swift and precise. Not leaving a mark on his body, save for the previous injuries I have dealt him. I step away from the human, the male now trembling even more as I make my way over to Ares. Clutching my newly won knives with a smile on my face.

"Corintha what did Madame Costa tell us not do while we're here?" Ares sighs, maneuvering the still quivering girl onto a nearby bench. I glare at him, refusing to be goaded by his lecture into another drawn out discussion of my failings to listen and comply.

A worry that I did not have to think of, for just as he yet again opens his mouth to scold me, my brother appears down the road. Arcus right behind him with Adila running by his side. While Zola and Octavia bring up the rear, Captain Odessa right beside them. Trailed by his fellow uniformed humans with matching scowls on all their sun darkened faces.

"You might have to wait on that answer Ares," I tease, placing the blade hilts into his hands. "We have more important matters than you reprimanding me for saving someone's life."
Tuning on my heel, I head down the wooden platform with an extra bounce in my step. Leaving the quickly gathering crowd to watch me stride down the street, and be swiftly tackled by a gangly limbed Lucas and the suffocating hold of Adila's strong arms.