Chapter 49-Courage in the Unlikeliest Place

✨Hey y'all👋, almost to fifty chapters now and what a road it has been. Don't worry, the book is still continuing after chapter fifty so keep your hats on. 😎

🍃This chapter and the next one, will be longer than normal. There is so much more to put in that it is necessary to keep this story moving along. 💫

🥳We are also close to 10,000 reads, a huge milestone and one I'd like to celebrate but I have no idea how to do🍃

🔥But for now, we gotta keep this show on the road, with a little picture of my cat for good luck. 🍀

🐱Highly recommend a cat, especially a big guy like this who loves cuddles

🐱Highly recommend a cat, especially a big guy like this who loves cuddles. 🥰

———————————————————————
The nerve of him, even with my brother and friend rolling in the dirt, he still has the gall to order me to watch the girl. As if he thinks I will forget about the poor thing. I turn my back on him as he leaps off the walkway, pretending not to hear the gathering crowd's murmurs, my screaming sibling, or the human I downed now mumbling incoherent words as Odessa's men clamp him in irons.

Instead, I slowly walk up to the girl and crouch down in front of her. Her red rimmed eyes meet mine, fear widening in her gaze as I place a gentle hand atop of her shaking palms.

"Don't worry sweet one," I say, taking my other hand and cupping her pale cheek. "Unlike those men, I mean you no harm. Now, I need you tell me what happened, and how you have come to have this blood on you, when I see no marks, other than that bruise, upon your person."

She nods her head slowly, the curled locks framing her face bouncing like string. "Good," I say, as Octavia appears by my side with a dripping cloth in hand. "My friend here will clean you up while you explain, alright."

"O-okay," she mumbles, letting Octavia sit next to her on the bench and gently wipe away the blood off her chin and dress. "I-I was waiting in the carriage for my sister to finish shopping. When I heard my driver scream, and the carriage door was thrown open."

Shivers wrack up her body, her thin arms wrapping themselves around her. Fresh tears fall down her face, twisting my heart and urging me to settle myself down on the bench next her. And gently placing a hand on her back, rubbing it with slow calming circles. At that moment, my brother lets out a screech as Ares finally pulls him away from Adila.

"What's wrong with him?" the girl whispers, her eyes widening in shock as Ares throws my brother over his shoulder. "He's had a rough few days," Octavia answers, as she starts wiping away the blood spatter from the girl's nails. "But not to worry, he will be right as rain soon. Well at least once Corintha puts some sense back in him."

I force down a grin, and lightly smack Octavia upside the head. "Enough, he's not the only who could use a dash of sense," I say, jerking my head towards Zola currently shaking a disapproving finger in front of Adila's snarling face. "Didn't Ares mention that Zola caused some trouble on this island a while back?"