Chapter 6 - The Heart of Polka is Still Beating

And now this time the words will be straight from the heart
You can't fake the life that was never there
And this is reason, enough to stand up
And make this life be more to you. "

'The Heart of Polka is Still Beating' - Story of the Year

************************************

**Sunday**

Shannon was in the spare room where he had been when had first arrived unannounced, at Emily's at the beginning of the week, but by the Wednesday he had basically been living with Emily in her room, sleeping in her bed with her, sharing stories, conducting business meetings, when she'd had to go into work.

They had created their own little world within that room; behaving almost as though they were a married couple. But that wasn't something Emily wasn't looking for anytime soon, not after the disastrous events that unfurled that night on the red carpet at the Awards Show between herself and James, besides, Shannon had said that he didn't think he was marriage material, so it was stupid of her to even be thinking that way.

Packing up his case ready to fly back to LA later that evening after Kali had left after coffee, Shannon picked up his black denim vest and folded it roughly, tossing it into the base of his case. He had mixed emotions about leaving her. He was worried about her coping with the pregnancy on her own, especially as this was her first time being pregnant. He'd wanted to go through the entire journey, being right by her side, holding her hand through the tough days and cuddling with her at night.

Surprisingly, he had enjoyed having someone to cook for, someone to care for and someone to share his day with. Was he really considering settling down for the first time in his entire life? It was something that he'd never even considered before. The only other time having been when he was with Cara.

As he wrapped up his power cable for his MacBook, he heard a gentle knock on the door and knew it must be Emily.

"You don't have to knock, silly." He laughed, folding up a shirt and packing it.

"Hey. Just wanted to see how you were getting on with packing?" She questioned him, crossing the room and coming o sit down next to his open case on the bed and fiddling with a pair of his socks.

"I'm getting there. I wish I could pack you though." He placed his hands on her knees as he stood by the side of the bed and lent down to kiss her.

"I'll come and visit soon. Plus, we can Skype or phone any time."

"I know, but it won't be the same." Shannon sighed. "I want to make sure you'll be OK; what with your pregnancy and everything, when I'm not there. Who's going to keep an eye on you?"

"I'll be fine and besides; Kali will know shortly anyway."

"You're planning on telling her?" Shannon questioned, surprised. He reached out and gently plucked the pair of his socks that Emily had been holding from her hands and put them in his case.

"Well yeah. I figured that if Jared knew, then the person I'm the closest to should know too."

"Oh, OK. Well, if that's what you want to do, you know I'll support you in it."

"Speaking of Kali, she should be here shortly."

*****************************

**1hr Later**

"DAMMIT!" Shannon cursed loudly, slamming the lid to his laptop closed.

"What? What on earth's wrong?" Emily questioned him concerned. She turned and looked at him from over her shoulder as she proceeded to make coffee for the three of them as Kali was due any minute now.