Chapter 36 - His Mistakes

" And it's killing me, girl, knowing
You compare me to him
Always guilty before the sin
I can't win, no, I can't win

I'll do anything to prove I love you
Baby girl, but I refuse to
Pay for something I didn't do
I love you, girl
But I refuse to stay
Paying for his mistakes. "

'His Mistakes' - Usher
************************************

Emily looked back up at him, hurt.

Shannon could see how much he had hurt her with those words, instantly.

"Seriously Shannon? You're actually going to go there right now with that?" She pushed him away and sat up. "Why?"

"Because I know you were looking at an article about him earlier at breakfast, OK? I didn't  want to say anything because I didn't want to ruin breakfast." Shannon snapped at her.

She stared at him, not saying a word and climbed off the bed, finding her silk dressing gown from her suitcase and pulled it on.

"Come on Emily! I saw how distracted you were, then saw you smiling at a picture of him on your phone." He found his boxers and yanked them back on and walked over to her.

She ignored him.

"Emily!" He snapped again  reaching out and placing a hand on her shoulder.

"Don't touch me Shannon." She shrugged him off.

"So you're not even going to deny it?"

"I didn't actively go searching anything to do with him if you must know."

"Oh, and pictures of your ex just happened to appear on your phone?"

"Actually. Yes. I went onto Google to search something about pregnancy and it was a recommended article. I can't just cut him out of my life Shannon. He's the father of my baby!"

"I know! But how do you think it makes me feel when I'm supposed to be enjoying breakfast with my girlfriend and she's the other side of the table smiling at a photo of her semi-naked ex boyfriend?"

"Oh. Well remind me to wait and do it after you've gone to bed then." She huffed.

Shannon rolled his eyes. "Emily. Don't!"

"Don't what Shannon? How about don't accuse me of doing shit I didn't do. I can't believe you actually ask me if he was better than you."

"Well...?"

"Well what?"

"Is he?"

"I'm not answering that."

She crossed over to enter the bathroom, but Shannon blocked her way.

"Shannon. Please move." Emily folded her arms across her chest.

"Tell me. Do you still have feelings for him?" He advanced forward on her and she started to get a bit panicky.

He trapped her up against the wall.

"Emily. Tell me!" He ended up shouting at her.

"Get the hell away from me!" She shouted back, managing to push him away from herself and rushing toward the main door, letting herself out of it and running down the hallway to what had been Shannon's room and had now hopefully become Jared's.

She banged on the door, tears starting to fall from her face by now, looking up the corridor to see if Shannon was going to come out after her.

He hadn't hit her and she didn't think he would, but he had seriously scared her.