Chapter 10 - Hurricane

It hit me like a hurricane
It hit me like a tidal wave
And I don't know why I drown my mind
In everything they say
It hit me like a hurricane (Hurricane)
It hit me like a tidal wave (Tidal wave)
And I don't know why I drown my mind
It got the best of me

With your life on the line
Ready to die for something
When you're at the divide
And you're down to nothing
Look into my eyes. "

'Hurricane' - I, Prevail

************************************

Emily was leaning on the balcony attached to Shannon's bedroom, gazing out at the valley that stretched far beyond the horizon, further than she could see with her eyes. It was gradually seeping into dusk now and the cicadas were starting to chirp their merry evening tune.

The sun was a dying fiery red ball as it started to dip down just beyond the furthest mountain ridge; the ridge, opening wide its mouth as a damper to kill the sun's burning glow ready to rest until the early hours of the next bright morning where it would resume its duty in the endless looping cycle of the days.

She felt the lightest of touches on her shoulder that felt like a feather and it made her jump.

"Shit. Sorry. I didn't mean to make you jump." Shannon came up behind her and apologised, moving to wrap his arms around her waspish waist and stroke her curvaceous hips, tenderly. He lent down and lightly kissed her neck. "I'm sorry about my brother." He told her softly pulling away from her neck.

Emily turned her head to look at Shannon over her shoulder and met his warm, comforting eyes. He took the opportunity to catch her lips with his. He smelt lightly of smoke and spice from his aftershave.

"Why does he hate me so much Shannon?" She sighed heavily, turning her head back away from him and leaning with her arms on the railings, once more resuming her gaze to the horizon, now dimly lit by the glow of the city that lay just beyond it.

"You shouldn't use such strong words. He doesn't 'hate you', Emily." Shannon moved to press his body closer into hers from behind and reached around to link the fingers on both of his hands with hers as they rested on the balcony railing in front of her.

"OK then. Why does he detest me so much?"

"Now you're just being stubborn." Shannon chuckled softly, moving a hand to reach out and sweep some loose hair round to the front of her to join her plat, then letting his fingers trail lightly down the bare skin of her neck. "Thank you for coming to surprise me by the way."

"Well, it's kind of ruined now, but here we are." She shrugged.

"It's not ruined. You're here, with me and we can still do this." Shannon moved his hands once more round to the front of her, finding the tie to her robe and making to tug it undone, but she placed a hand on top of his and stopped him from doing so.

"I'm not in the mood anymore Shannon. Sorry."

"So, you've just flown all this way to see me; five hours on a plane, and now you're in a bad mood because of my brother?" Shannon questioned her, pulling away and moving to sit down on his bed and look at her.

Emily eventually turned around to face him. Her body a silhouette, against the backdrop of the balcony, caused by the lights from his bedroom.

"I'd been planning this for a while with Emma. I've really been missing you, Shannon. I've probably been struggling more than I've cared to admit. With everything I mean. Jason's still harassing me, I'm pregnant for the first time, I can't get a hold of James, I worry about you, and I'm just feeling sorry for myself. I'm sorry. I don't want to sound needy, that's the last thing you want to hear as you're just getting back from tour. You must be exhausted." She wrung her hands awkwardly.