Chapter 15 - One and The Same

"I always thought that I was too far gone
But you gave me a place to belong
I feel the rain washing away all that I've done wrong

Well I just wanna make you levitate
I just want you to take my breath away
Complete the frame with the piece I found in you"

'One and The Same'- Speech Patterns

************************************

The next morning was a damp but warm one. Shannon rolled over in bed and momentarily forgot where he was; still thinking he was back on the bus in the arse-end of nowhere, until he realised that Emily was lying next to him sound asleep.

His phoned beeped from his bedside table and he rolled over to retrieve it, being careful so as not to wake Emily from her slumber.

'4 missed calls- Emma'

Why was his brothers' PA phoning him? What was so urgent it couldn't wait until he was back in LA, and felt the need to call him 4 times instead when she knew he was currently staying with Emily?

He ignored it for a while and idly scrolled through his social media, when he paused, and his eyes suddenly froze on the same video of himself and Emily together at Ted Stevens airport that he had seen yesterday. It was another one of the gossip sites who had posted it on Instagram.

It wouldn't be long now before the entire world would know about them and this was exactly what he had been trying to avoid happening. Shannon knew that things between them couldn't and wouldn't stay hidden forever, but he'd at least wanted some control over how they would go public. For Emily's sake and now the babies.

Life was stressful enough for him as it was. Being connected to Jared brought with it its own dramas, but now with the band, that had shot him slightly more into the spotlight than he would have wanted.

This morning, he and Emily had an appointment at Anchorage General Hospital for her 4-month scan. This could potentially be the big one where she would find out its gender.

He'd never considered having children before, well, now, that was a lie. He had. Once. With her. Cara. And boy was he glad now that things hadn't progressed with her. The way things had ended between the two of them had been very messy and he was glad not to have had a child caught up in the middle of all that.

This situation with Emily however, was different and strangely, he had found himself a bit sad that the baby she was carrying wasn't his. Whilst technically they hadn't known one another for very long, it had honestly felt like he had known her a lifetime by now.

She was like a breath of fresh air that had been blown in just as he had needed it, and had filled his lungs with life and energy that he hadn't even realise he had been missing until now, and now he couldn't imagine her not being a part of his life.

He was happy to take the place of Father if James hadn't been interested, and so far, he hadn't. Emily, he knew, was pretty upset about the situation with James, and it wasn't really from lack of trying. She and Kali had been trying constantly. He knew as much as he hated the idea of her still talking to James whilst she was with him that he couldn't deny her child the right of meeting it's biological father. He and Jared had never had that luxury and he knew what it had felt like to grow up having never know who your father was.

It was like you were walking around with a part of you missing and nothing and no-one could ever fulfil that - there was always a yearning to know your true father-figure.

He was taken from his thoughts by his cell phone ringing again and quickly answered it climbing out of bed to take the call in the lounge so as not to wake Emily who was still sleeping peacefully next to him. She had looked exhausted yesterday and he wanted her to get as much rest as possible.