Chapter 14 - You & Me

I'm so tired of hanging on
To everything I thought we had. I was so wrong
There's nothing left here to fight for, we've both been bled dry
Stop wasting time, yours and mine, cause God knows we tried. "

'You & Me' -  Memphis May Fire

************************************

**James**

"Lacey, we need to hurry up or I'm going to be late!" James called out from the lounge of the hotel room to her as he got ready for them both to leave for the airport back to London.

There was no reply.

"LACEY!" He wandered back into the bedroom and found her looking at something on her phone. "Lacey. If we're late, I swear to God." He growled at her once he saw that she wasn't getting ready and was busy idly scrolling away on her phone.

She looked over her shoulder at him as she lay on her front on their hotel bed. "Oh sorry. I just need to go and put some lip-gloss on." She grinned at him, tossing her phone down onto the bed, before getting up and flouncing off to the bathroom.

James was about to turn and walk back out to the lounge when his eye caught what Lacey had been looking at on her phone as it lay there before him on the bed in all it's luminous glory. He walked over to the bed and looked down at the screen.

'SHANNON LETO. BABY DADDY?'

He swallowed slowly and reached out picking up the device and looking more closely at the article. He wasn't sure how trustworthy Perez Hilton was as a news source, but that was definitely Shannon in the pictures, and he was with Emily.

She looked just as beautiful as he remembered from those 7 months back when they had dated and his mind flickered back to the time when it had all suddenly gone so wrong. He sighed deeply to himself. Boy had he messed up, and now Shannon had taken the place where he should have been. By her side.

Scrolling a bit more he skim-read the article, before clicking on the photos to zoom in on them more closely. He could vaguely make out the outline of a very faint baby bump from her side profile. His stomach lurched. So, she was pregnant. Was it Shannon's? It must be. Why wouldn't it be? They'd been together long enough now and they looked very much in love.

He guessed this truly was the end of things between them. All this time he had been dating Lacey he had secretly been holding a torch for Emily. That had all but extinguished the moment his eyes landed on those photos.

The way Shannon's hand caressed her stomach was the clincher. He saw there was a video of the two of them and somehow the sick sadomasochistic part of his brain was triggered and before he knew it, his thumb had tapped on the Play button. The video was only 10 seconds long, but in those 10 seconds he felt his world literally fall and crumble down around him. Somehow his eyes couldn't tear themselves away from it and he stood there in the middle of the room watching as Emily and Shannon kissed, his hands lovingly stroking her swollen stomach.

"I'm ready now." Lacey's shrill voice grated in his head.

He spun around still holding her phone.

"Oh, I er...I-I wondered where I'd left that. Thanks for finding it for me babe." She wandered over to him and plucked her phone from his hands placing a kiss on his cheek. "Come on. Or we'll be late."

********************************

**Emily and Shannon**

"Close your eyes for me." Shannon told Emily as they still sat together in the bath. He placed a small kiss on her nose.