Barn Owls

Gabriel took the luggage out of the back of the car.

"I know this is probably the last place you'd want to spend on your honey moon-"

"I told you before you had me sold when you said we could go horse riding together." He smiled at me before moving out of the way. "I have so many regrets." Selever said jumping in front of Gabriel. Gabriel handed off the luggage to him with a smirk and tossing Rasazy the keys to the cabin.

"With the least likely company too." He said. Rasazy made it out of the car and walked out with the key to the warm cabin.

It was luminous and furnished top to bottom. Even the kitchen was stocked up nicely. I ran my hand over the countertop and smiled. "Since we're here early I can make lunch." I said looking through the fridge and panty. "Although, Gabriel, honey?" He walked over to me pressing a kiss to my cheek. "Can you go out and get some fruits and vegetables, as much as I'd like to admit. A pack of hotdogs and corn in a can isn't enough for four. Nor would it match the palate of some others."

"Can we get produce from Eden? I really liked the fruits and vegetables." Rasazy said. I was surprised to hear her request but Gabriel just nodded. "I was thinking that too. At least then we know we won't be eating foods with pesticides in it." He said. "You guys get settled in okay? I'd be back in thirty." I nodded and picked up the luggage he set down. I headed up the stairs to the master bedroom setting our stuff down. I fell back against the bed relishing the fresh feeling of sinking into something soft after the long drive coming from Sarvente's church to the cross between country and forest.

I lifted myself higher in the bed reaching out for the headboard. It was lower than the one in our house. Or what's left of the headboard. Gabriel had the idea of expanding the house while we were gone. When we came back from Rome he didn't stop accommodating space and sqarefootage in the new house or the expansion. We would be getting a bigger bed and bathroom to share. Not that I minded sleeping close to Gabriel. Though it would be nice to have extra space for the future.

I stood up and walked around the second floor the view in the windows between rooms were beautiful showing the landscape around us. Rasazy was already upstairs setting up her room next to a small library. I knocked on her door catching her on her phone. Something I never thought I would catch her doing, ever.

She peered up from the small text she got to smile at me.

"It's nice you invited us to come, I know this was supposed to be your honeymoon and all." I waved her off. "I had to think of you guys. I told Gabriel about how much you'd enjoy a nice day out in the quietness of nature or hands on learning about being a farm hand." I said. "And Selever can just get away from any unnecessary drama like Julius." I whispered and she laughed. "It feels nice to get out once in a while. I've been nose deep in books in Azrael's library that I can stay in there for days without knowing it. It's as if it's a huge labyrinth made to keep me there." She looked up at the ceiling in a daze.

"He even has books going in and out when he needs to, so I'm never really bored. But I've noticed he's got a thing for old Chinese literature. There's a space in the back of the library that opened to me." I widened my eyes. "There were so many books there filled with ancient writings and paintings. Azrael said it belonged to his wife before and that no one really came over there because it was so dusty and that he didn't have time to clean it up for use." Part of me questioned the relativity of the dusty shelves.

"But the texts and the books are just amazing. The woman who wrote them poured her heart into the pages." She held up a book still pristine in a crimson color. "It isn't in English but Azrael says he'll write another in English for me." Her face dusted pink in a happy smile. "I'm glad you found someone who would go to such efforts to do that." She nodded. "He's a really good friend." Part of me winced back at that word when I felt a hand grab my shoulder. I looked over and saw Gabriel. He pointed downstairs at the fresh baskets of food before turning to Rasazy.