CHAPTER SEVEN (AGAIN)

PRESENT DAY

Rain patters outside my window as I stare up at the ceiling fan spinning. Rain has always reminded me of Alex. I usually construct my thoughts against him, thinking of anything else. I thought of everything else in the world that didn't have to do with him. Why don't we send people to Mars already? Who invented plates? When will I finally apply everything I learned in Calculus my Junior year?

But today's different; I let myself think of Alex.

I think of his smile and the little freckles on the side of his face. I think of how he would never let me win in play-fights. Or the way we would always order food because we both sucked at cooking; actually, Alex could use his air fryer, but that was about it. My mind wanders for a while until it finally settles on the undeniable reality of the situation.

Alex is in Hawaii on his honeymoon right now.

I know, Hawaii is such a cliche place to honeymoon. If I ever get married, I want to honeymoon somewhere different. It doesn't even have to be extravagant as long as it's special to my significant other.

My phone rings, interrupting my thoughts. I glance at the caller i.d. It takes a moment to register who it is.

Clay and I must've drunkenly exchanged numbers at the wedding because right now I'm getting a call from Dearm/Caly.

Nice going, drunk Jac.

"Hello?" I say as I pick up the phone.

"Hey, what are you doing right now?" he asks immediately.

"You know-" I smile as I look back up to the ceiling. There's a little mold in the shape of a heart in the corner, which is actually kind of disgusting. "-I'm doing pretty good today. How are you, Dream?"

If we were in person, I think he just rolled his eyes. "I'm good, Jac."

"That's good. What can I help you with today?" I laugh a little at my own joke.

"I was wondering what you were doing today actually," he says calmly.

"Who? Me?" I jokingly put a hand on my chest in fake-shock even though he can't see me. It helps me play the roll of being dramatic. "Why would you want to know about little-old me?"

He chuckles bitterly. "Are you really going to make me say it?"

I roll over onto my stomach, phone pressed against my ear. "Yes, the whole thing, too."

"Oh the whole thing?" He sighs, playing along. "Well, Jac, if you must know I was lying awake last night, and I couldn't stop thinking about you."

"Oh really?" I smile.

"Really," he says, "And I just had to know when I could see you again."

I take a deep breath. Clay and I don't know each other that well, and from how the one night we hung out went, I can assume this isn't necessarily just a friend-hangout type thing. He knows that I'm not over Alex, and he made it very clear that he didn't want any committed relationships. This could be a huge disaster.

I look at the clock to see it's just a little after noon. "I'm free today."

"Great. I'm texting you my address now." He pauses for a second. I can hear him typing before I get a text. "Are you close?"

"Why can't you go to my house?" I ask, really just messing with him now.

"We can do that if you would like. I mean, Sapnap's gone on a trip with Karl until Tuesday."