CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN [WEDDING PICTURES]

I fill up my water bottle as I check the time. I'm supposed to meet Clay at my place in an hour to go get some dinner.

My phone starts to glow with Alex's name at the top. I answer it on the first ring out of excitement. We hung out last night to watch a movie, but my stomach still fills with butterflies.

"Hello?" I say cheerfully.

"Jac?" Alex's voice is filled with panic.

"Alex? What's wrong?" I ask. I scan my counter for my keys and pick them up.

"I need you," he says.

"I'm on my way," I reassure him, "Stay on the phone."

I walk to my car as fast as I can, taking the stairs two at a time.

"Alex?" I say as the car connects to the bluetooth. "Are you still there?"

"Mhm."

"I'm on my way, it's going to be okay." I put the car in drive and hit the gas. "Just keep breathing."

I can hear his heavy breathing.

"Breathe in and out. One. Two. Three. Four." I breathe with him. "One. Two. Three. Four."

It takes two minutes for me to drive to his house. Thank goodness he rented an apartment close to me. I walk into his apartment without walking.

Alex is sitting on his floor, his head in his hands, and the phone sitting next to him. I hang up on the call and walk calmly over to him. I grab one of his hands.

"It's going to be okay."

He doesn't move from the sound of my voice. I try to run over the things people have told me to do when helping someone through a panic attack.

"Do you want to try and move to the couch?" I ask slowly.

He shakes his head without moving his eyes from one point in space.

"Do you want me to talk?"

He nods but keeps his eyes focused ahead.

"Okay, um, I'll tell you about the first time I ever met you then." I laugh lightly. "Do you remember that?"

He doesn't move his head, but the tops of his lips curl up by a millimeter.

"Well, Tommy called me and was begging me to be on his stream. He told me he needed somebody, and all he had was 'Big Q'. I had no idea who that was, but I was eating or something."

I gently graze my thumb over the top of his hand that I'm holding.

"And then he just called me in the middle of the stream anyways." I shake my head. "I got wrapped into it, and so did you. You were on and you friend requested me on discord in the middle of the stream to ask if I was also forced on the stream. Then we messaged throughout the entire stream like we had known each forever."

He takes a deep breath. I smile at the small sign.

"And the rest was history," I whisper.

He turns his head towards me.

"Want to move to the couch?" I ask him.

He nods, and we walk to the couch together. I don't ask what happened yet and let him process things at his own pace.

"Thank you," he says after a little bit of quiet. "I needed that."

"Of course, I'll always be here for you." I pull him into a hug.

He buries his head into my hair and takes a deep breath.

"Let me get you some water," I whisper.

I leave to go to his kitchen. I grab a glass and fill it with water from the fridge. When I walk back into the living room, he's half asleep on the couch.