CHAPTER FOURTEEN [EVERYTHING HAS CHANGED]

Everything has Changed by Taylor Swift ft. Ed Sheeran

^recommend listening to this while reading^

I open the door wider for Alex, and he walks in mindlessly. I can't help but compare it to the way Dream walked in earlier. Alex is comfortable here with no hesitations, even when something's clearly wrong.

I don't say anything. I just let Alex pace up and down the hall. He's quiet for a long time before he finally gains the strength to speak.

"I never got married," he says in one breath.

I have to shake my head a bit to try and refresh my brain. The words that just came out of his mouth made absolutely no sense. I was literally at his wedding. I watched him at the altar saying 'I do'.

"We got this.. We got this call," he continues to explain, "that said the paperwork got messed up, so we.. we.. Jess and I were never actually married."

I take a deep breath, trying to bury the flurry that occurs in my heart. I want to ask him to sit down, but he keeps talking.

"We would've had to sign our marriage certificate again, and I... I just couldn't do it." He sighs and buries his face in his hands. "I couldn't do it, and I don't know why."

"I mean, the rest of my life with her." He unburies his face, but I don't think he's talking to anyone in particular right now. "I guess, I kept looking for a sign the whole time. I was wanting the universe to tell me not to marry her. I seriously was hoping a chandelier would crash to the floor, or someone would object. Anything, really."

My brain flashes to the moment of consideration of objecting at the wedding. Should I have gone through with it if that's what he was wanting?

If I had objected, everything would be different. Who knows what would've happened between Alex and I? I definitely wouldn't have gotten closer to Clay.

My heart pauses for a millisecond at the thought of Clay. How many hours ago was I just focusing on his green eyes and the freckles across his nose? That was all I knew; the situation I'm in now wasn't even in question.

"Maybe me looking for a sign was a sign itself," Alex continues talking quietly to himself. "I should've listened to my gut. I should've left a long time ago, Jac."

I glance up at him at the use of my name, but he's still looking at the floor. His brows are furrowed in concentration, and my heart cracks in pain for him. I force myself to push all my feelings down as I move to a spot on the couch. Right now, I need to be there for Alex as a friend and nothing else.

"It's going to be okay." I pat the seat next to me.. "Sit down, Alex."

He sits next to me hesitantly and continues his little rant. "The whole honeymoon felt off. It was like the glamor of a wedding and marriage wore off, and we were just left with no connection."

Now he looks up to meet my eyes. His hold an undeniable amount of sadness and confusion, wondering if he did the right thing. Tears threaten to spill at the corners of his eyes.

His voice is thick when he speaks. "I just wanted to go home."

I pull him into a hug, and he cries into my shoulder for a long time. I wait patiently. He lost the woman he's been with for a very long time. Of course his heart is broken, and he needs someone right now.

He didn't sign his marriage certificate. He's not married and he never was, but that has nothing to do with me. I can't let that get to my head, but I can't help the soft flicker of hope rising in my chest.

I mess with his hair as he falls asleep. I don't bother him as I maneuver myself off the couch. I grab a blanket from the other end of the couch and place it on top of him. He snuggles deeper into the blanket after I do so.

I go into my bed and try to wrap my head around all the events.

Alex is no longer married. Alex was never married. Alex is here.

Everything has changed.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

alrighty are we team dream or team quackity now?

i still don't know who it's going to be lmao

have an amazing day :))