CHAPTER EIGHT [HONEYMOON CHECKINS)

Neither Clay nor I could tell you what happened in the first movie. We were a bit.. Distracted.

Clay scrolls through movie options again. My legs are propped over his and his arm is pulling me into his chest.

"I could go for some ice cream right now," he says in a softer voice. His lips rest right by my ear as he talks, so it tickles when he talks.

My phone sits on his desk, but it buzzes a couple times. I ignore it and smile at Clay's idea.. "I like ice cream."

"We might have some in the fridge," he says with a couple more scrolls, "I'll check in a second."

"What about that one?" I ask, pointing to the TV screen.

He pauses his scrolling. "You mean Step Brothers?"

I nod. "Yeah, what's it about?"

He sits up a bit, which causes me to have to sit up too. "Have you seriously never seen Step Brothers, Jac?"

I shake my head. "Don't think so."

He clicks on the movie but doesn't press play yet. "We're watching this then; no questions asked. You are about to experience something great."

My phone stops buzzing and actually rings now. I bury my head in Clay's chest, not wanting to move to grab it.

"You going to get that?" Clay chuckles.

I sigh as I reach for the bedside table. A picture of Alex holding a giant piece of pizza lights my screen up. I glance up at Clay, unsure of how to proceed with this situation.

I don't really know what Clay and I are, but even with that, I probably shouldn't answer phone calls from married guys I'm pretty sure I'm still in love with.

Clay sits up a bit. "You answer loverboy, and I'll go get the ice cream."

I watch him leave the room in utter confusion. Why would he refer to Alex as 'loverboy'? Isn't Clay the guy I was just making out with, and now he's referring to other guys as 'loverboy'?

Something sinks in my stomach, not really liking the uncertainty of the whole Clay-situation. At least with Alex I know there's no chance of us ever happening.

And even though I know there's no chance, I still answer his call with butterflies in my stomach.

"How's the honeymoon?" I ask as I answer.

"It's, um, it's good." Alex sounds distracted with something before focusing on the call completely. "Yeah, Hawaii is great. I really like it."

"How's Jess?" I ask the inevitable. For some reason it makes me feel less guilty about my feelings. It acknowledges the fact that he is married, and I respect that. At least that's what I think. It could be perceived completely differently.

"She's good, she's good," he says. "She's in the shower right now, but we're planning on dinner tonight."

"That's fun." I sit up straight in Clay's bed. It's probably one of the most comfortable things I've ever been on.

"And expensive." Alex scoffs. "Everything is so expensive here."

I roll my eyes even though he can't see me. "It's your honeymoon, Alex. I think it's okay to splurge a little."

He sighs. "Yeah, you're right."

His tone seems off. He should be excited for his honeymoon. I mean, he's in Hawaii for goodness sake, and here he is complaining about prices. Break into that streaming money, Alex.

"Everything okay?" I take a risk to ask. I feel ripped in half that something is wrong, or maybe everything's perfect. No, I want what's best for Alex, and if that's being with Jess, then I'm hoping more that everything's perfect than not.

He sighs again. He's doing that a lot, huh? "Yeah, just exciting."

I can hear Clay walking back up the stairs of the house. For some reason, I don't want to be on the phone when he walks in. Partly because I don't want to make Clay uncomfortable, and partly because I don't want to explain to Alex. It's a little confusing to me as of right now, so I don't know how he would take it.

"Actually, I wanted to ask you-" Alex is cut off by something shuffling in the back of his side of the call. "-hey, what's up?"

I wait patiently as he talks to who I assume is Jess.

"Yeah, I'll start getting ready soon." His voice seems even more tired than a second ago. "I don't know about that, babe." My heart pangs at the babe.

"It's just-" he pauses "-No, not at all."

Alex sighs. Again. "Hey, I'm going to go get ready for dinner. Bye."

He hangs up before I get the chance to say anything else. Something about the whole situation seemed off and totally not Alex.

Clay bumps the door open with his hip as he walks into the room with two bowls. He hands me one before sitting next to me.

"How's the honeymooners?" He takes a bite mid-question, muffling his speech slightly.

I shake my worries about Alex. I don't want to spread anything that I'm just assuming, so I just shrug to Clay's question. "Pretty good, I think."

"Oh yeah? That's good." Clay scoops more ice cream onto his spoon. "How are you feeling about the whole being-in-love-with-him thing?"

My mouth pops open a bit, which I hide by taking a bite. How can he kiss me and then ask questions like this?

What is going on in that little brain Clay?

"I think it's..." I search my brain for the correct word for the slight soul-shattering feeling in my chest as I hear Alex's voice from his Hawaii Honeymoon. "Difficult."

"I can imagine." He nods. "But time heals everything right? And you're getting some time away now, so it's a start."

I let out a shaky breath, not wanting to really talk about it anymore. "Okay so step brothers?" I change the subject.

Clay smiles excitedly and reaches for the remote. "Prepare your mind to be blown, Jac."

AUTHOR'S NOTE

this is exactly how i watched 'step brothers' for the first time.. it's a good movie definitely would recommend haha

have an amazing day <3