CHAPTER THIRTEEN (TEXT)

I sigh as I finally finish my editing for the day. I check my phone and notice the date. It's been almost a week since the wedding. Alex has been married for an entire week.

My phone starts ringing in my hand. I smile at Clay's name before accepting.

"Hey what are you doing?" he asks when I pick up the phone.

"Just finished editing."

"Okay good, I want to hang out." He sounds like he's walking around his house.

"You live forty five minutes away," I point out.

"I'm in a driving mood," he says. "I'm on my way. We can go for a drive."

"You want to drive almost an hour just to go for another drive with me?" I ask with a laugh, feeling a little happy about it.

"Of course. See you soon." He hangs up.

O O O

Clay knocks on my door thirty minutes later. I open the door for him. "Hey, come on in. I'll be ready in a sec, just let me get some shoes real quick."

He follows me into my small apartment and closes the door behind him. I run to my room for shoes. He's still standing awkwardly by the door when I come back. He's inspecting a picture frame on a table to the right of the door.

"What a lovely family," he comments, gesturing to the stock photo of random people.

"They're my best friends," I go along with the bit, "That was when we went on a little beach trip last summer."

"Oh really? I bet that was fun."

"The funnest." I laugh, opening the door.

"That's not a word," he says while following me out.

"Shut up." I use my key to lock the door. "You must've been over the speed limit the entire way here. It was only like a half hour."

He chuckles, pulling me into a quick kiss. "At least twenty over the speed limit the whole time."

"Don't drive like that when I'm in the car." I point my finger towards him.

He holds out his little finger. "Pinky promise."

Clay drives a small white car. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but I can tell it fits him once he gets behind the wheel.

"Go for a drive?" he asks, starting the car.

"Are you sure?" I buckle my seatbelt. "You took a whole half hour drive to get here."

"Yeah, I even have a place to go, too."

He back out of the parking space and onto the main road. He turns on the music as we drive down more of a back road. I watch as familiar streets fly by, realizing we were going towards the beach.

"How do you know where you're going?" I ask.

"My family used to vacation here a lot when I was younger," he explains, "This was always my favorite spot."

I turn my head towards him to watch him talk. He smiles as he goes on about his family.

"We actually have this little house near here." He puts one of his hands on my knee. "I could take you there one day."

"Really?" I sit up a little more.

Clay laughs. "Yes, really."

We listen to music in a peaceful quiet until Clay pulls over onto a lookout. The ocean stretches for miles in front of us. I actually recognize it from when I was a teenager.