CHAPTER EIGHTEEN (THANKSGIVING PIZZA)

I take a deep breath as Alex and I get into the car. It's been a week since he found out about Clay and I.

Now we're heading to Nick and Clay's house for pizza. I think it was more Nick's invitation than anything, but Clay seemed excited. Well, until he found out Alex was coming as well. Then, he got a little quiet on the phone. I'm choosing to ignore it.

Clay and I are friends with benefits. He told Alex that it means nothing, making it very clear of his intentions.

"Are we going to talk about the whole friends with benefits thing?" Alex asks after a but if quiet.

"What about it?"

"Just.. that wasn't a thing before the wedding, so I'm guessing it happened there." Alex looks out the window.

I nod, even though he can't fully see me. "It did. We have fun, but as Clay said, it means nothing."

"From both sides?" he asks to clarify.

"Yes, I don't have feelings for him, Alex," I say. I want to tell him that I have feelings for him, but I don't think now is the right moment. I'm giving him time.

But how much time is enough time? I mean, he seems to be over Jess. He was honestly over Jess before he left Hawaii, so what am I waiting for? Is there a specific amount of time I should wait for? What about a month and seventeen days? That seems like a reasonable amount of time. A random one, but it seems reasonable.

Alex hums a response. I can't see his facial expressions to know if it's good reaction or a bad reaction, but I really wish I could know.

Maybe I'll find out in a month and seventeen days.

O O O

When we get to their house, I just walk in the front door without knocking; a habit I've formed. I turn to see Alex with furrowed brows.

"What?" I ask.

"Nothing." He shrugs. "I just didn't realize how comfortable you were here."

My cheeks heat up from the reason I'm so comfortable here. "I'm here a lot for, um, you know."

He nods once slowly. "Right."

Nick peeks his head around a corner. "Get your asses in here. You're taking forever."

We close the door and head into the house. Clay stands in the corner of the kitchen with a beer bottle in hand. He doesn't greet Alex or I when we walk in.

"Alright we got four pizzas." Nick dramatically waves his hands above the pizza boxes. "We're food tasting tonight."

Alex and I survey their choices. I can tell this was Nick's idea because, apparently, pizza meant trying a bunch of strange pizzas. One appears to have some sort of salmon and caviar plopped on top of it. Another has beets on it, which I will not be going near. I despise beets with a passion in my soul. One is a salad on top of crust with no sauce; does that even count as pizza?

"What's that?" I ask, pointing to the last pizza with some sort of thick white sauce.

"It's supposed to be thanksgiving pizza," Nick answers, "That's mashed potatoes and gravy as sauce."

Alex's face scrunches up. "I don't know how I feel about that."

Clay moves over to the pizza selection. "I don't know how I feel about the salad pizza."

"I was trying to be healthy, geez Clay." Nick puts his hands up in defense, proving my earlier thought that this was Nick's idea.

O O O