CHAPTER SEVENTEEN (SAFE]

Alex sighs as he lies back on the couch. "Are you sure you don't want to join us?"

I shake my head as I sit on the couch across from him. Along with his time to heal, I'm also giving him space.

"Why not? It's Nick and Karl." He pouts.

"I'll let you guys have your guys night." I try to wave it off. The invited me to play mini golf, but I have plans with Clay tonight.

"Fine, but I'm bringing you the leftover wings."

I smile. "Thank god, I was worried I wouldn't get any."

O O O

Clay wraps his arms around my waist and kisses my shoulder as I pour some wine into a glass.

"This is nice," he whispers into my hair.

I turn to face him and give him a kiss on the lips. "It really is."

The doorbell rings, and I smile. "Can you get the pizza?"

He nods before walking off towards the door. I can hear him open it.

"What are you doing here, Clay?" an all too familiar voice says that most definitely is not the pizza guy.

"Alex." Clay chuckles nervously. "What are you doing here?"

I walk into view of the door to see Alex holding a to go box. I wasn't expecting him to be here until tomorrow.

"I'm dropping off wings." Alex holds up the box. "What are you doing here?"

Clay glances back at me for what to say before looking back to Alex. "We're just hanging out."

"Hanging out?"

My hand instantly goes to my lips, which would be a dead give away if Alex was paying attention to me. His eyes are focused on Clay though. I chew the inside of my cheek. Something in my head echoes, saying that lying won't help in the future. Eventually he'll find out, and it won't be as forgiving as this moment would be.

"We're hooking up," I blurt out. I cringe afterwards. Not how I intended to say it.

Clay's eyes cut to me as if to ask me what I was doing. I just shrug because I honestly don't know.

"Huh?" Alex's jaw is dropped in shock.

"Not like that," Clay says, "We're just friends. It means nothing."

It means nothing.

My heart sinks a bit, but relief also fills me at the same time. Yes, I was just rejected in a romantic way, but Clay has commitment issues. That should be expected. What also happened was a little crack of hope for Alex and I, even if I don't know what's going on in his head or what he's feeling.

Alex's shoulders seem to relax. "Okay, well I guess as long as you're safe."

I nod a little too overdramatically. "Always. Perfectly safe, yup. But with no feelings. None what's so ever. Just two friends being safe."

Alex tilts his head to the side a bit as he looks at me, probably wondering why we're even friends in the first place.

"Um, okay. Here are your wings." Alex hands the wings to Clay. "We're still on for tomorrow, right Jac?"

I nod. "Yes, one editing marathon with no procrastination."

Alex and I had a tradition that when our videos starting to stack up without being edited, we would lock ourselves in one of our houses and edit for hours on end. It was like cramming for exams, minecraft youtuber style.

"Alright, have a good night." Alex nods once.

"A safe one too." Clay smirks.

Alex grimaces a bit before turning out the door. As soon as he's gone, I bury my head in my hands.

"You really know how to word-vomit all your secrets, huh?" Clay laughs.

"Shut up, this is not good." I peek through two of my fingers.

"Why not? Honesty's the best policy." Clay pulls me into a half hug.

"I went on a rant about safe, noncommittal relations, Clay. How is that the best policy?" I ask sharply.

This makes Clay let out a wheeze. "Oh god, you did that. You really did."

I huff, taking the wings from his hands and to the kitchen. He follows me and hovers in the corner.

"So, shall we have safe, noncommittal sexual relations tonight?"

AUTHOR'S NOTE

stay safe kids ;)

have an amazing day!