CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE (CONSIDER)

I sigh as I stand in front of Clay's door. I choose to knock instead of just walking in. I didn't tell anyone that I was coming over, so I hope the forty minute drive was worth it.

Clay opens the door, and he smiles when he sees that it's me. "What are you doing here?"

"I just wanted to see you," I lie. I internally yell at myself, knowing this is the time to tell the truth.

But my words make his smile grow and open the door wider for me to walk in. It makes me feel bad about what I'm about to say.

"Want anything?" he asks as we pass the kitchen and to the stairs.

"No, I'm good." I shake my head, following him up the stairs.

He leads me to his room. Nick's door is shut, and I can hear him talking. He must be on discord or something.

I sit cross legged and face Clay on the bed. He leans in and gives me a kiss on the lips.

"Hi," he whispers before giving me another kiss.

"Hi," I repeat back.

He puts one hand on my cheek as he continues to kiss me, and the other is lazily resting on my waist. He pulls me closer to him in a deep kiss, but I have to pull away.

"I'm here to talk, not hookup." I scoot a little farther away, hoping distance will help.

He frowns. "About what?"

I take a deep breath, unsure how to word this. I decide that honesty is the best policy and to just say the truth outright.

"Alex was at my door last night," I blurt out.

Clay chuckles. "Okay? He's your best friend."

"Well." I scratch the back of my neck. "He told me that he has feelings."

I watch as Clay's face falls. He's quiet for a few moments as he processes my words. I'm not entirely sure what they mean either, but I know that I can't oversee the feelings I've had forever for Alex. Besides, maybe it won't work. Maybe it will.

"And he wants to go on a date," I continue, "I just wanted to see what you thought of all of this."

I know Clay a lot more than I used to, which means that I can kind of tell when he feels awkward about something. LIke right now his shoulders are tense, and he's messing with the collar of his sweatshirt.

"I mean, yeah I guess that's fine with me. I just don't want to feel left out, you know?" He shrugs. "I'm already at such a disadvantage."

I furrow my brows. "How so?"

"Well, for starters, you're already in love with the guy." He chuckles bitterly. "And also he just knows so much about you already."

I shake my head slightly and look down at my hands. "Don't feel pressured by that. It's not... It's not some big deciding factor."

And there goes my telling the truth policy. Of course it was a deciding factor. Alex was mine for so long. How am I supposed to just forget about that? I know I can't just tell Clay that Alex would be my top contender, but I feel bad if I lead him on.

He sighs as if he can read my thoughts. "Jac?"

I glance up to meet his eyes. The light from his lamp casts shadows on his face. "Yeah?"

"Just consider me." He places one of his hands on top of mine. "For once, please just really consider me, then tell me if I have a chance.

I take a deep breath, unsure how I'm supposed to react to that. Of course I never took the time to really think about a future with Clay. We weren't supposed to turn into anything, and I'm not entirely sure we ever did. But I guess the least I can do is consider a future with him, just to see if we would be a good match.

I nod once. "Okay, I will."

He smiles. "Thank you, Jac."

AUTHOR'S NOTE

wow what is jac to do?