CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE [GROUND RULES)

I take a deep breath as I prepare for the conversation I'm about to have.

After my date with Alex, I was ecstatic. Everything felt as if electricity was running through my veins, but then a sense of guilt set in.

I promised Clay I would consider him, and then I kissed Alex. I felt like I had betrayed Clay in some way, which is crazy because the only way I could betray him is if I have feelings, right?

I thought about it a lot last night, and I came upon a decision that I thought would work well.

I smile as I sit in front of both Alex and Clay. They sit a couple feet apart on the separate couches, waiting for whatever I brought them here to talk about.

"I want to be honest with both of you," I begin, "I have no idea what in the world I am doing."

They both smile a bit.

"I just had two incredible guys say they have feelings, and I am very confused," I admit.

"I said that I'll give you time," Clay reminds me. "I just want a chance."

I smile.

"Well, I told you how I feel, too," Alex adds.

I shake my head. "See? That. I don't like that, and I don't want that happening."

Both boys nod in unison.

"I would like some time to think, but I also would like my decision to be unbiased," I say, "which is why I don't want either of you to kiss me."

"What?" Alex laughs. "That's stupid."

"Oh come on, Jac." Clay shakes his head. "That is slightly ridiculous."

"Well, that's how I fee, and those are my conditions." I shrug. "Take it or leave it."

O O O

[A LITTLE BIT LATER]

"Alex, stop throwing stuff at me." I can't help but laugh as the sixth crumpled up piece of paper hits the back of my head.

"What's wrong?" Alex asks innocently.

I turn in my swivel chair. "At the moment, you are."

"I'm simply just a struggling student, that's all." He shrugs, returning back to his notes.

I roll my eyes. "You can study at your own place if you're going to be such a nuisance."

"No, no, please no," Alex practically begs. "Not with the..." He shudders instead of finishing his thought.

For the past week, Alex has been hearing a thudding against the wall he shares with his neighbor. At first it seemed innocent, but then he started to hear.. Other noises.

Anyways, Alex had his last straw last night and called this morning to ask if he could study at my place. I said yes, not knowing it meant paper being thrown at my head.

"You know." I spin around in my chair again. "I think you could be a little more sex-positive."

He rolls his eyes. "I think you could be a little less talk-positive."

"Actually, you're the one I wanted to shut up."

"Actually, that's not what you said."

I roll my eyes but end up smiling.

O O O

(A LITTLE MORE BIT LATER)

"And this is where I spent my summers." Clay gestures across the beach from the little rock. "We called this the jumping rock, but it also has the best view."

I smile as I glance at the ocean in front of us. Clay wanted to take me on a little date to see his favorite spots.

I point to a nearby rock. "My friends and I had lunch there every weekend of the summer."

"Really?" He nudges me. "Imagine we had been here at the same time."

"That would be a weird coincidence."

He pulls me close and into a hug. "You wouldn't have recognized me either way; I'm faceless."

I laugh. "Yeah and also not quite famous yet."

He shakes his head. "You don't know that. I could've been."

I glance up at him. "Were you?"

"Nope. Not one bit."

I bury my head into his chest. "That's what I thought."

AUTHOR'S NOTE

team quackity or team dream?