Chapter Nine : Tense Phone Calls

Y/n's POV

As we pulled up to the hotel, I realized how extravagant it is, how it overlooks Niagara Falls, how posh the valet and runners were dressed. Is this my life now? Connor gets out of the car first, helping load the luggage onto the cart for the bellboy. I hang back, looking back to the SUV behind us, watching as Wanda busy herself on her phone while her assistant matches Connor's energy, helping the staff however she can. She seems unbothered by the elegantly sculpted building before us, the quiet helping hands, the faint buzzing of the people around us as they recognize her, this is all normal for her, and here I am still getting used to it all, a small part of me not wanting to have this situation feel normal.

I barely registered the check in process or the time in the elevator, Wanda went up a few minutes before us so it was a quiet ride up to the top floor. There were four suites on the top floor, three were two bedroom suites and one was the presidential suite. Connor and I were rooming together in one of the two bedroom rooms close to the elevator and Wanda was staying in the presidential suite at the end of the hall. Connor briefly mentioned her assistant and manager were on the floor below us in two of the smaller rooms. I nod, taking in bits and pieces, feeling a little overwhelmed but also out of it as the Xanax is still leaving my system from the flight.

Once we get into our room I take in the interior, the walls a dark maroon color, the furniture modern and plush, the couch was almost velvet. The kitchenette was bigger in the hotel room than the one we had growing up in Oregon. The bedrooms were on opposite sides of the living room, allowing us space and privacy. Walking over to the far wall of the room, there sets a massive glass wall, a glass door leading out to a small terrace. The window has a clear view of the waterfall, almost picturesque.

"What's on the itinerary for the day?" I ask, still looking out the window, hearing Connor setting his suitcase on his bed with a plop.

"You've got your pre-interview photo shoot in an hour or so, which means we need to leave soon if we want to get there on time, you've got two magazine phone interviews you've got to do after that, then dinner with Wanda this evening." He mentions the last part nonchalantly.

I turn around abruptly, "Wait what? I have dinner plans with her tonight?" I ask, shocked.

He just shrugs, "We made them on the plane, you've got reservations for a nice Italian place nearby, it's on the boardwalk."

"Thanks for the heads up." I state sarcastically, hearing him chuckling as I turn back around, taking in the view some more. Great, I have a few hours until an impromptu dinner with the woman I have a crush on who just so happens to also be married. I'm not sure if I should be excited or wary.

---

The fitting for the photoshoot took longer than anticipated, they had me trying on about a dozen different outfits, measuring and re-measuring, adding different elements and stripping away bits of material. They wanted the perfect glamor shot to introduce me before the interview, also a few snippets of posing for the tv commercial introductions.

After about three hours they decided on black pants suit with a white collar, simple white button up and a beautifully crafted lapel pin. It's form fitting material felt natural against my body, I see why models feel so confident in crafted clothes, I feel powerful just standing to the side waiting for my cue to stand in front of the backdrop.

"Alright Miss Y/L/N, you can take your position whenever you're ready, feel free to have fun with this." The photographer smiles over at me, his face gentle and kind.

I walk over to the dark green backdrop, sitting down on a box covered in a red velvet cloth, positioning myself for a pose, "What's your name?" I ask the photographer as he flips through the dials on his camera, making sure the capture gets enough light through the lens.