Chapter 14 : Articles Articles Articles

Y/n's POV

Standing in my kitchen, the music blaring while I'm cooking breakfast, waffles and bacon specifically. I hum the tune, my feet pushing down into the tilled flooring as I dance in place.

After coffee with Yelena yesterday I found a second wind, trying my hardest to push the memories of Wanda to the back of my head as I've still yet to hear from her. Because everytime something comes up that reminds me of her, I feel this excruciating twisting within my chest, like it's sucking the air out of my lungs. Who would've thought I'd get invested this quickly.

I shake off the feeling starting to grow in the back of my throat, focusing on shifting the finished bacon in the pan onto a plate as the light on the waffle maker turns green. Juggling a tong full of bacon and a fork trying to lift up the edges of the buttermilk grilled breakfast food, I cringe at the mess I'm making, knowing if I don't clean it up soon, Buddy will come in here and lick it all up.

After making sure the waffles are all cooked through and plated up, I place everything on the kitchen island, beginning to chuck the used dishes into the dishwasher and using a rag to wipe down the countertops. I'm so lost in my cleaning that I barely register Connor coming into the house and walking into the kitchen, making himself at home at the island. I turn out, groaning at his addition to the room.

"You could at least pretend to be happy to see me." He jokes, looking unimpressed at my suppression of being shocked.

"You told me you'd text me before you came over." I reminded him, knowing he was going to show me the articles that were both supposed to be released today, the phone interviews that I did while in Canada.

"I did." He puts it lightly, grabbing my phone and turning the screen towards me for me to see the clear text messages that I must have not noticed came in while I had been busying myself in the kitchen all morning.

I nod apologetically, throwing the rag into the sink to deal with later. "Sorry, I'm lost in my head today."

He gives me a thin lipped smile, "You seem better though."

Shrugging my shoulders, "Trying to be. So, what have you got to show me?" I point to his bag that he's set down in the barstool right beside him.

At the mention of it, he begins digging through it, finding two files, one labeled 'Entertainment Daily' and the other 'The Times', sliding them both toward me. "Printed them out this morning. Which do you want to look at first?"

Normally I wouldn't be so invested in what tabloids and magazines are writing about me, but Tony made it clear that I needed to set the right image for myself, it mattered for the studio as well as it made sure that we upheld the facade.

I opened up the Entertainment Daily file first, seeing the bright yellow and blue trimmings to the article, adding the right pop of color to keep people's eyes interested without it being too much. I skim over the words, remembering Sarah was kind and had a humorous tone of voice when I spoke to her on the phone. She even mentioned how I knew Carol wouldn't have liked for anyone, including me calling her seasoned.