Chapter 23 : Pretty Sure

Heyooo!

Wanda's POV

It's been over two weeks since the cabin, and although we both agreed to take things a little slower after my abrupt departure after our time in the brisk north, we've spent almost everyday together.

The first day after I didn't hear much from her and I was worried she had changed her mind about us, decided that being involved with a married woman was too complicated for her, even if I so desperately want to get a divorce, I can't rush it; not when there's so much at stake if I do.

But then I was relieved when she texted early one morning, a few days after, and wanted to meet up at her place for breakfast. Even with her heavenly cooking and good company, I could tell something was wrong, something had happened. Her eye line kept drifting towards the living room as if it was a crime scene. Her body language was more hesitant, like the power that flowed through her, her natural confidence was drained. The way she held herself was different, even if she tried putting on a brave face, it was as if she had shrunk in on herself. I didn't know there was anything that could take away from the carefree and lively girl that I had met not too long ago.

I tried questioning it, but she shrugged it off with a non answer. Chalking it up to family stuff.

That worried me even more.

It seemed like Y/n was rather close with her family, especially her brother. And she had nothing but good things to say about her mom. Though, I didn't know much about her extended family, if there was more to her story than she was letting on.

I guess that would make two of us.

My mind started swirling looking for possible reasons that would wreck my new girlfriend this much. Had someone said something? Had she been so excited to tell someone that she started seeing me, or just seeing someone in general, but that someone disapproved?

It would make sense, at every turn that I questioned if she was sure she wanted to be together, she'd soothe away my worries with promises that nothing, no one could ever doubt her feelings for me.

I guess that's how you know it's real. When someone is willing to go to bat for you. She was for me. And I was for her, even if it didn't seem like it.

I was fearful that it might have been about Connor, that possibly he didn't approve of us being together. Though, those feelings were put to bed rather quickly one evening a week ago when he stopped by her house unannounced and seemed overjoyed that I was there. I still remember his breaching smile as he cast a look over us as Y/n and I cuddled on the couch reading different books in silence and yet tangled up in a mess all the same. Even doing our own thing, we needed to just know the other was near.

Buddy too, though he opted to sit on the other end of the couch rather than lay in his dog bed.

So, with the addition of her brother, we figured we might as well have some fun. Work had been weighing on us both as we needed a good outlet. The three of us stayed up into the early hours of the morning watching sitcoms, drinking beer and playing card games. It reminded me so much of my evenings with Pietro, it nudged me to text him, asking if he could visit LA sometime after he's finished with whatever new abstract recital he was performing in.

Pietro, like myself, found peace in being in front of a camera, inspired to be an actor. Though, being who he is, he needed to take it a step further, he found a bigger challenge in that which presses someone towards the stage. So he let acting in movies take a backseat while he worked on musicals and plays, dancing and singing for audiences every night.

He promised he would be able to visit by Thanksgiving, wanting to spend as much of the holidays with me as he could before he'd be swapped with work in New York.