Chapter 21 : Peace And Quiet

Hello! Long time no see 😅

Acting POV

"Who did you fuck last night?" Louis asks when I walk through the bar doors.

He sits at the bar counter, nursing a beer. It was early but I don't judge. I roll my eyes at the question. I'm not one to indulge such questions, who I sleep with is not the business of my pack. Though, given the possibility that it's Louis she's after, I might need to at some point, but I'd rather be sure before I say anything.

"You wouldn't know her." I remark as I make my way behind the bar, opening the till and filling the drawer with cash for the new work day.

Louis' face contorts in a confused fashion, it wasn't often that either of us met someone new, "Too good for us?" He asks, assuming he was from the other side of the tracks. I didn't know much about Sersha before I met her. Did she grow up in a white picket fence type house, did her daddy buy her her first car, did she lose her virginity at prom. There were a lot of unanswered questions about her, but all the same, I felt like I knew her. Maybe it is just the after sleeping with someone clarity, the intimacy getting to my head, but I felt the need to stick up for her, as if I've known her all my life.

"She's too good for anyone." I mumble as my hands fiddle with dollar bills for the register, undoing rolls of quarters.

I can almost hear his eyes roll, thankfully the empty bar clouds no listening, "No tail is that good, Rae." He starts exacerbated. "No one is good enough to throw you for a loop."

I almost grimace at the thought. It wasn't that I've been with a lot of people, I don't open myself up to people in that way, not seriously at least. But when I met Sersha, something felt natural, like yearning for her touch was everything my body was meant for. I don't believe in that wolf imprinting bullshit that my ancestors do, but a part of me wonders now.  "You want to tell me how you got that limp again?" I ask, switching gears. His face showing how the change in topic affected him, but recovering quickly, as if to cover up something he didn't want me to see.

"It's nothing, just got caught in a bear trap in the woods." He tries to shrug off.

"Werewolf trap." I correct him.

"So what?" He asks bitterly, as if it didn't matter what type of trap caught his leg, that only his immediate pain mattered. The implications of what this could mean matter far more.

I shake my head, finally pushing the cash drawer closed, focusing all my attention onto Louis. "So what? If you've gotten yourself into something, you need to tell me. I'm in charge here, remember? I'm responsible if something happens to you, I will protect you, okay?"

An unamused scoff seems to slip from his lips, almost muttering to himself in a soothing fashion, "I don't need protection, and I didn't do anything."

Biting back an unkind tone, I can only manage to settle on sarcasm, "So how did you end up in the trap? Late night bite?"

Waving off the sentiment as if it was preposterous, it wasn't. Some wolves did catch human prey, it's not common of our kind, but it happens and once you start; it's almost impossible to stop. "The hunters, I caught wind that they are expanding their targets. They aren't going after just the worst of us, they are going after all of us."

Knowing Louis well, I need to make sure this is just the hunters widening their nets, nothing more. "And you're sure you didn't do anything to provoke one?"

"Of course I'm sure, what, you don't believe me?" His voice raises, appalled by the silent accusation.

"I seemingly remember you having a hard time keeping from feeding off humans when you were younger, that taste doesn't just go away." I remark.