eight.

AURORA'S POV

AURORA'S POV

It had been another few days since I had seen Harry, but it wasn't as unnerving as it was the first time. I understood that he didn't work on certain days, but the fact he seemed to drop off the face of the Earth was the part I had the hardest time wrapping my mind around. I mean, I missed my parents while I was gone too, but they had phones. I took full advantage of FaceTime calls and texting them any time I had the chance. Maybe I just didn't understand the full gravity of his situation, so I shouldn't judge.

The professor had scheduled another one of the stargazing events for tonight, in hopes that we would catch something. This time he seemed more prepared for it. He said everyone was welcome to bring their own equipment, but he would also be bringing telescopes and other tools himself for us to use. I was excited for this one, and I wanted Harry to come with us. So, even though I had yet to see him the past few days, I wanted to try. So, that was why I found myself walking down his road this evening. To hopefully drag him along to tonight's viewing.

There was a small glimmer of hope that he would be back by now, sitting in his living room listening to whatever he found himself listening to. Which was another thing– what did he listen to? There was so much about him that I had no idea about, and I seemed to be intrigued by his unknowns the more I was around him.

As I walked up the sidewalk, I watched his quaint apartment complex start to develop in front of me. The evening sun made the scenic surroundings look more beautiful than they actually were; the golden glow creating a shade of orange and pink over everything. The small reflection of the disappearing sun reflected against one of his windows, and I crossed my fingers that he would poke his head out with his usual wide grin; teeth brighter than the sun it reflected off from.

No such thing happened, but that was fine. It didn't fully diminish all the hope I had about him being home yet. I considered checking his mailbox that was right beside his door, but I didn't want to push any more boundaries that I had accidentally crossed when I went through his cabinets the other night.

I felt my heart pick up as I walked up his steps, his front door now inches away from my body. I prepared myself for the worst, starting to fully expect the fact that he wasn't home. The last thing I wanted to do was be disappointed by his lack of presence. Not that I couldn't handle not being around him, but tonight seemed like something he would have been sad about missing. He was the only classmate that I knew that shared my interests to the same magnitude, so it was more fun when he was around.

I raised my finger up to the doorbell, pressing gently against the button. I could hear the faint bells ring out throughout his home, and I tried to make out any other noises that could have been made, whether footsteps, doors opening or closing, or even the familiar giggle. The outside noises of a car passing and dogs barking in the background was all I heard, though. Without much hesitation, I tapped my knuckles against the door.