twenty-five.

Many Light Years Ago,

Before The War

The light of the stars flickered into multiple beams of light through the opened window behind me. The atmosphere was still, mixed with noises from the other side of it. It was the perfect melody to have as I had an opened book nestled in my lap. Candles on the wall boomed with their own source of light, illuminating the vastness of my family's library I was in. Although, even with the extra light sources, I still sparked my own gleam through my finger as it trailed alongside each sentence with a reflection of lavender illuminating each word.

I always felt so content in moments like this, no matter what was happening in my actual life.

Father was off in his study, doing whatever kings did. I knew he was under a lot of stress. I would hear some of the people outside saying he was being paranoid or a follower of conspiracies. He believed that the Light Guardians were planning an attack, specifically to steal our source of power. The Aurora Lights.

I wasn't going to be the one to tell him how silly that sounded. Why would they want that power? They didn't need it. We had always lived in harmony. Light Guardians had never tried to reign over us before - why would they want to now? They already had what they needed, as did we.

I tried not to let it bother me too much, nor did I want to ask any questions. If it were true, that would mean there would be a war coming, and one like never before. I was too young to be involved, but my brother, Leon, was not. He was already on thin ice with my father for failing a mission he had on Earth recently. I'd hate to see what else could happen in such a mess. It would be devastating.

So while they worried about that, I chose to be here, in the study living in the fantasies of my ancestors and their stories. Anytime I thought I knew about each star and the constellations they made up, I was proven wrong. It was a never ending source of material and knowledge.

"What are you reading?" A woman's voice boomed as the book abruptly slipped from my grasp. The light in my finger faded suddenly, startled at the presence.

"Adhara." I breathed out a sigh of relief, hand resting at my heaving chest. A smile ruptured across my face as I looked up at her.

She was busy focused on the book she had grabbed from my hands, a sneaky curl of her lips etched on her as she flipped through the pages. She closed it quickly, tossing it on the small table beside me.

"Don't you ever get bored of reading stories like this?" She stated with a slight roll of her eyes. The small curl of her lips were hard to read. I couldn't tell if she was joking or if there was a hint of seriousness in it.

I lightly snickered at myself. Why would she be serious about that? She was my partner. She loved me.

I sat up from my chair, heading towards the window to close it. "No, they're all different. I enjoy hearing where we came from. Don't you?"