twenty-two.

Aurora's POV

Aurora's POV

"Thinking about bundling up soon to wrap up the fall? Might want to think again, folks. Even with Halloween right around the corner, it doesn't look like the heat is going anywhere. Actually, it looks like it might only be up from here with record breaking highs for the next week. Hope everyone's had their air conditioning checked recently–."

I clicked the remote, shutting the news off, resulting in the blank screen of the TV staring back at Harry and I who remained on the couch.

"What's air conditioning?" Harry asked, splitting up the silence of the room.

I couldn't help but chuckle. "It's like cool air that gets blown through the vents." I nonchalantly motioned towards the vent on the wall in front of us, and then sat up, no longer wanting to engage in the topic. Anything about rising temperatures or the world nearing its end always had a habit of raising my anxiety to unspeakable levels.

At least I would know Harry would be safe if the Earth just decided to give up while we still lived on it.

Probably, anyway.

"Speaking of Halloween, do you know what you're going to dress up as?" I had begun walking to the kitchen, pouring myself a couple glasses of water. I knew he probably wouldn't want a cup, but it felt instinctual to get it for him regardless.

"That's the holiday you wear things you normally wouldn't to impress other people, right?" He had rounded the corner, now standing a few feet away from me as I closed the refrigerator door.

I peered at him with upturned eyebrows.

"What? That's what Nina said when I asked her." He looked dumbfounded that I wasn't immediately agreeing with him, causing me to chuckle once again.

"I guess that's one way to put it, sure." He followed behind me as I sat myself back down on the couch and waited for him to take his usual spot as well. "You're going to the party next week, though, right? When you're back?"

There was a nervous edge to my question that even I spotted. It was that dull ache in my chest with the realization that he was going to have to be leaving soon again, and now it felt like the next time he left it could be permanent this time.

What if when he went back his dad would be waiting for him? Lock him up and never let him out of his dad's sight? Guaranteed to never step foot back on this planet again? We had barely gotten him back to begin with. I wasn't sure if Leon would be able to save him twice.

"Sure thing. I have it on my calendar at home. I won't forget." He gave me a reassuring smile, settling the prick of nerves that had yet to fully subside. "Not sure what I'm dressing up as, though. I don't really have anyone to impress, I don't think. Should I be trying to impress you?"