Chapter 4

Quietly waiting for the rest of her family members to join her for dinner, she mentally prepared herself for the criticism she was about to face. Princess Young-mi vividly remembered their last dinner together. King Eodum and Princess Eunji had insulted her late parents. Although Princess Young-mi did not get the chance to meet them, she's heard stories of their good deeds from the elderly servants working in the Palace.

"Good evening, child", Queen Soojin greeted. Standing up, The Princess greeted the Queen with a curtsy.

"Good evening, Your Majesty. Did you rest well?"

"Why yes child, I suppose you did too?" The Queen asked, making her way towards her seat.

"Yes, Your Majest-", before she could finish her sentence, the large doors swung open, revealing King Eodum and Princess Eunji.

"Good evening Your Majesty, Princess Eunji", Princess Young-mi politely greeted. The King took one glance at her, then turned to his daughter.

"My dear, why don't you sit down and rest your feet. You've been very busy today." King Eodum said, tone gentle and full of love.

"Yes father." Princess Eunji answered her father. However her eyes were staring straight at Princess Young-mi's, flashing her a look of disgust.

"Have a seat dear child." Queen Soojin said.

"Yes mother I was just going to", Princess Eunji said in a bright tone.

"Silly girl, I was talking to Young-mi. Come child sit here." The Queen gestured to the seat beside her.

Princess Young-mi smiled at the Queen and happily took the seat. At the end of the table, King Eodum looked at his wife with a disapproving expression. Speechless, Princess Eunji looked at her father.

"Young-mi, would you mind if Eunji takes that seat?" King Eodum asked. Princess Young-mi looked up.

"Of course". As she was about to move, the Queen held her back.

"No, she's staying here. I have something to discuss with her." She replied, knowing she was going against her husband, the King's wishes. However, she, too, had power, she was the Queen of the Kingdom of Methia after all.

The King and Queen stared at each other, seemingly fighting one another through their eyes. Between the mental warfare between the King and Queen, there stood Princess Eunji who was furious at her cousin for taking her seat, even though they were not assigned.

Getting tired of the silence, Princess Eunji whined.

"When is dinner going to be served?" She asked, her voice high-pitched and whiny. She glared at the servants present in the room. Panicking the servants urgently brought dinner.

During dinner, Princess Young-mi dared not to speak, the tension between the King and Queen was thick. No one dared to breathe too loud, afraid to face the King's wrath.

The dinner went on, no one spoke. Princess Eunji and King Eodum left the Dining Room, leaving Princess Young-mi and Queen Soojin.

"Why don't we take a walk in the Royal Garden?" Queen Soojin asked.

"Of course, Your Majesty", The Princess said, lifting up her gown to walk.

In the garden, the evening breeze tickled the Princess' cheeks, turning it to a bright red. The two royals walked in comfortable silence, enjoying one another's presence.

"Say, you're of suitable age to marry now, aren't you?" The Queen asked, breaking the silence.

"Oh.. yes I am"

"So, have you taken interest in any man? I could pull some strings for you" The Queen said in a teasing tone.

"I do not have any interest towards any man, Your Majesty". She answered, giggling at her aunt's behaviour.

"Really? How about that Scholar Min-hyung? He seems nice." Queen Soojin said, looking up at the night sky.

"Hmm... he is nice. But I'd like a man who'd always stay by me. I don't think Scholar Min-hyung will be free to do that. With all the classes he's taking...He is smart and talented. Everyone calls him a prodigy." The Princess trailed off.

The Queen nodded.

"Your Majesty, it's time to head in",one of the servants announced.

The two royals went back to the Palace and separated ways. The Princess made her way back to her room. However, there was someone waiting for her.

Princess Eunji spotted her cousin and stormed towards her.

"You! Who do you think you are?! You can't take my place! Just because my mother treats you better than the way father does, does not mean she loves you!" Princess Eunji screamed.

Princess Young-mi stayed quiet trying to ignore her words, but she couldn't. The little voice in her head, agreeing to her cousin's remarks seemed to be louder.

Princess Eunji walked off angrily, leaving her cousin. Princess Young-mi entered her room, with a heavy heart and prepared to sleep for the night.