Chapter 13

Walking down the flight of stairs Princess Young-mi felt the stares of the various nobles that attended the ball. Amongst the sea of people, there were two young men admiring the Princess. Both Sir Yeonjun and Scholar Min-hyung's attention was on Princess Young-mi as soon as her arrival had been announced. As she reached the bottom of the stairs, she made her way to the Queen's side.

"Why Princess Young-mi, you look lovely today." Queen Soojin stated.

"Thank you, Your Majesty. However, I am nothing compared to you." Princess Young-mi voiced out, feeling grateful for the Queen's compliment.

"Oh, I'm curious about something, is there something going on between you and Sir Yeonjun?" Queen Soojin asked.

Flustered, Princess Young-mi's cheeks became crimson red. Queen Soojin put on a cheeky smile seeing Princess Young-mi's reaction to her question.

"Oh, no, there is nothing going on between us. We just know each other." The Princess answered.

"Well, I'd say otherwise. As I see him staring at you at this very moment." Queen Soojin pointed out her observation.

"Not only that, his attention was on you, the moment you walked through the door." Princess Young-mi's eyes trailed to the crowd to look for Sir Yeonjun. Sure enough, he was, in fact, staring at the Princess. Their eyes met. Sir Yeonjun, feeling flustered that the Princess had caught him staring at her, tore his eyes away for a moment. Unbeknownst to the Princess, a smile slowly crept to her face.

"Why don't you walk up to him? Before any other lady beats you to it." Queen Soojin suggested, before leaving the Princess. But before she could walk up to Sir Yeonjun, his father pulled him away from the crowd.

Feeling defeated, Princess Young-mi stayed in her spot and observed her surroundings. Many nobles alike were dancing with their partners.

"Your Highness, you look rather nice this evening." Scholar Min-hyung appeared on Princess Young-mi's side.

"Why, you don't look too bad yourself, Min-hyung." Scholar Min-hyung smiled to himself. Before he approached the Princess, he had planned what he was going to say to her. However, he was anxious.

"Oh Min-hyung, come dance with me!" Princess Eunji pulled him away from Princess Young-mi before he had the chance to ask her. Princess Young-mi sighed, she was left alone, yet again.

"Son, this is the best opportunity for you to ask the King." Yeonjun's father said, as he pulled his son away from the crowd.

"During a ball? I think the chances of him rejecting my proposal is sky high, father." Sir Yeonjun reasoned.

"He may not agree but Her Majesty will. After all, she's on our side, remember?" His father said.

"If anything happens, I'll help you."

"Alright, father." Sir Yeonjun answered, he and his father made their way to the crowd once again.

"Go to her Highness, son. Ask her to dance with you. I know you want to. Stop being such a wimp." His father gripped his shoulder as an effort to encourage him. Without further delay, Sir Yeonjun walked up to Princess Young-mi.

"Good evening, Your Highness. You look very beautiful tonight." Sir Yeonjun greeted.

"And you look dashing, Your Grace."

"Would you like to dance with me?" Sir Yeonjun reached out his hand. The Princess smiled and took his hand. Sir Yeonjun led the Princess to the dance floor. Sir Yeonjun then placed a hand on Princess Young-mi's waist while she placed her hand on his shoulder. Both of them waltzed around the ballroom attracting everyone's attention.

But, their attention was on each other. Both Princess Young-mi and Sir Yeonjun stared into each other's eyes, getting lost in their own world. Whispers were heard from the noble that watched them dance.

Unfortunately, the music had to end. Sir Yeonjun, still holding the Princess' hand, brought her hand closer to his plump lips. Placing a soft kiss on it.

"Thank you for dancing with me, Your Highness."

"It was my pleasure." Princess Young-mi uttered barely above a whisper as she was still flustered by Yeonjun's earlier actions.

"Must be nice having all the attention on you, Princess Young-mi? Are you enjoying it?" Princess Eunji mocked, Scholar Min-hyung trailed behind her. Apparently, Scholar Min-hyung had told Princess Eunji that he wanted to dance with her cousin and not her.

"I beg your pardon, Princess Eunji?" Princess Young-mi asked in confusion.

"You have two men wrapped around your fingers and you're acting so innocent?" Princess Eunji spat at her cousin.

Sir Yeonjun instinctively brought Princess Young-mi behind him, protecting her.

"Your Highness, I am afraid that what you said is out of line." Sir Yeonjun said in a calm tone.

"And you are? Oh right, Choi Yeonjun, son of Choi Eun. I am a Princess. You are below me." Princess Eunji scoffed at Yeonjun.

By now, all the fuss had attracted the attention of the surrounding nobles. The King and Queen had also taken interest in what was happening and appeared at the scene.

"How dare you insult the House of Choi, especially their heir. Do you have any idea how politically powerful they are?" King Eodum whispered to his daughter. Princess Eunji ignored her father.

"You! You should apologise to me. For humiliating me." Princess Eunji pointed at Princess Young-mi who hid behind Yeonjun.

"Her Highness did not do anything, I can assure you." Sir Yeonjun defended Princess Young-mi once again.

"Why do you keep defending her anyway?!" Princess Eunji bellowed.

"Because I intend to marry her!"