Act III Ch. 12: But We Can Affect the Future

why can't i publish on time what the heck

~

When you arrived at Kenshibetsu, you told Hourglass to head into the nearby Dark Oak Forest. Nothing was happening at the tiny village just yet. Besides, heading in would be the worst possible thing to do.

You camped out at the edge of the forest with Zane and Hourglass. The village was easily in sight. Should the sky darken and skeletons appear earlier than expected, you and Zane would be able to head out and help.

"When Kai showed up and became a ninja," You started a question, "how many days passed before I showed up?"

"Once Kai had completed the test, you had arrived three days later," Zane answered.

"...How did Sensei get here so fast, then?" You pondered aloud. "It took us three nights to walk from Kenshibetsu to the monastery... He'd have to leave three days earlier."

"Sensei has his ways," Zane merely responded.

You held a small smile before you looked out towards the nearby village. It... It hurt to see the village before the fire. Everything there, everything you were seeing right now... In the future, it wouldn't exist, anymore. Past You had no idea of what events would take place, not too long from now.

"Are you alright?"

You looked over at Zane only to realise the few tears forming at the corners of your eyes. "...No," You mentioned. "It... It hurts to see Kenshibetsu, again. Everyone, there, is living a happy, calm life. None of them know that... that a lot of them are going to die. Past Me doesn't know that they're gonna... kill someone..."

Zane shifted and sat next to you. His hand moved and pulled you into a small hug.

You returned the hug. You didn't want to move. You needed the comfort, right now. You needed to know that it was going to be okay.

"Thanks, Zane..." You muttered.

"Of course," Zane stated. "It must hurt so much... I may not be able to understand, but I will always be here for you."

You exhaled a small laugh. "It happened such a long time ago. I should be over it..."

"Grief is a great challenge to overcome," Zane informed. "I still struggle with the passing of my father. There are many days where I wish I could stay inside and ignore the world, or go back to when he was still in my life, but I know that nothing good would come of it."

"Easier said than done," You grumbled.

"And yet, you still persevered," Zane said. "You still managed to set out and continue, despite the pain in your heart." He removed himself from your hug to face you directly. "You are strong, and being able to express your pain only shows how much stronger you can be."

You held a small smile as you sniffed and wiped an eye with a hand. Thankfully, most of the mud on your gi had been scraped off. You pulled him into a hug again. "...It really means a lot."

"It's the least I can do for you," Zane spoke. "You showed me that I am still myself, even if I am not human. You helped me through a time where I felt my lowest. It's only right that I help you through your own struggles."

Your embrace was quickly cut short by the sound of distant engines. You pulled out of Zane's arms and threw yourself to your feet. The skies above Kenshibetsu grew dark, and you could see skeletal trucks in the distance.

"Oh, no," You muttered. "They're here early!"

Zane was right beside you. "What do we do?"

"...We have to go in and help!" You exclaimed. "Sensei won't get here in time. When I get captured by the skeletons—..." You felt sick. You almost lost your dominant hand. Samukai almost cut it off to get his hands on the Ring. You threw your hood on and turned to Hourglass. "Go find Sensei—Past Sensei! He needs to help us."