Act I Ch. 6: The Cursed Afterlife

"Kai!" Cole called out through the Fire Temple's courtyard. "Sensei?"

The towering Temple of Fire stood before you. It looked old and rugged, its pillars bearing small cracks and grooves within its surface and its walls appearing duller and stained with ash. The volcano the Temple was built into seemed dormant, and the world seemed quiet save for the distant bubbling of lava.

You dashed up ahead to find Hourglass there, too. When you approached Hourglass, he only turned your way and shook his head—no sight of either your friend or your sensei here.

"The Sword of Fire was here, as well as our friends, but..." Zane stopped within the yard, "I only sense loss." He shook his head, "We are too late. The Elemental Weapons have left this realm and are now in the Underworld..."

"Oh, no..." Cole sighed. "The one place no mortal can cross over. What are we gonna do now?"

"We might not be able to cross over," You spun around to the Fire Temple, where the large doors upfront burst open, revealing the Fire Dragon. The large Dragon stomped towards the many of you, and you spotted Kai and a young girl with black hair on the back of the Dragon. "But a Dragon can!"

Cole screamed in fright, immediately cowering behind you and using you as a shield.

"Cole—"

The Fire Dragon stopped before you all, with Kai and the young girl slipping off and greeting the many of you.

"Our father used to tell us stories about the Dragons," The girl explained, and you immediately assumed that this was Nya, Kai's sister. Nya bore a slight resemblance to Kai with her matching eyes, though her hair was many shades darker than Kai's light brown. "They were mythical creatures that belong to both this world and the Underworld and buried between them," Nya explained. "They could travel between the two worlds."

"Are you insane?" Cole asked from behind your shoulder, voice quivering with fear.

"Once he realized we were trying to protect the Sword, he became quite a softie," Kai informed, reaching up a hand to pet the Dragon's head. The Dragon, in turn, bumped his head into Kai's torso. "Oh, knock it off..."

Nya simply laughed at the Dragon's antics. Though soon she sighed and turned to Kai. "So, this is goodbye? I don't think you'll let me go to the Underworld, right?"

"Sorry, Nya," Kai nodded. "You've already been through a lot."

"Just come back to me in one piece, okay?" Nya offered a smile. "I don't wanna have to run the store on my own, now."

"Do you need a ride home?" You asked Nya. "My friend Hourglass can take you home."

Hourglass stepped up to you and tossed his head, throwing his hair aside as he made a small pose. You can trust me! You were positive he was saying.

"Really?" Nya questioned, approaching you and Hourglass. "You'd do that?"

"Of course," You smiled. "Anything to get you home safely. Besides, I don't think Hourglass wants to head to the Underworld."

Hourglass shook his head, a snort leaving his nose as he knelt low enough for Nya to climb on. 'Course not. You reached out and pet Hourglass for a moment.

"Hell yeah, I get to take the hot girl home."

You barely held back the snort bubbling in your throat before turning to Nya.

"Thank you," Nya said as you helped her up onto Hourglass.

"No problem," You smiled.

"Kai," Nya addressed her brother. "I'll keep a candle lit outside our shop until you return."