Not a Dinner Date (E.J, Gina and Val?)

E.J's POV:

It's halfway through the camp session and things are going well with Gina and I. So far we've made s'mores, swam in the lake, and had a dance party together. Most of the time we hang out with our friends or other campers so its hard to have alone time.

Tonight is going to be about us though because Gina said she's planning a mystery date night by the campfire and I'm excited.

"Hey, E.J are you busy? Can I talk to you for a sec?" I look up from fixing my short sleeve dress shirt in the middle of the camp ground to see Val, one of the junior counselors I made friends with this session.

"Yeah I kinda am, can it wait?" I fix my tie and walk over to her.

"Not really, my dad wants to talk to you in his office right now, oh and we have dinner afterwards so it's a good thing that you are dressed nice. Good thinking for bringing a nice shirt to camp," I see her wink at me then head to the girl's cabins.

"Why do we have dinner?" I start to say but Val is gone.

She didn't even say what her dad wanted from me. Am I in trouble? I didn't break any of the camp rules.

I quickly check the time on my watch and see that it reads 5:45. Just enough time to make it back to the campfire for Gina's surprise at 6.

I head to Mr. Anderson's office which is located in the main cabin where counselors and staff report too, and wait for Mr. Anderson to come out when he's ready for me.

"Ah, E.J come in, I've been waiting for you," I look over to see Mr. Anderson wearing a nice dress shirt and a Camp Shallow Lake hat.

"Why?" I take a seat in his office and look around at all the camp musical awards on his shelves.

Wow. That's a lot of awards.

"Val told me that you turned down Duke University, and I wanted to help you with your college decision. It's okay if you want to take a gap year from school but just as an offer or just to think about it, I've invited some of my alumni friends and colleagues from UCLA, UC Berkley and Stanford University to talk to you tonight at dinner. Val also said that you haven't figured out a plan for next year too. These are just some people who want to talk to you about their experiences in college. I met them all along the way when I was in undergrad and grad school," I see him smile and look at his notepad.

I didn't know that Val told her Dad all about my personal life.

I mean I only told Val because she's in college and I asked her a few questions about her experience. The Duke stuff and not having a plan for the future just slipped in our conversation.

I never thought that she would tell her dad.

"Respectfully, Mr. Anderson, I have a date to get to and I don't need help picking out a college," I start to say but he cuts me off.

"Come with me young man, your future is unknown but these guys can tell you a lot about how college changed them and their lifestyles," I stand up and politely follow him to the camp dining hall.