Chapter 12- Started With A Note

Allen

This is a stupid idea. Coming to the hospital was a very bad decision from my end. I should have waited until Stanley was out of the hospital but the question I had for him couldn't wait a day longer. Every minute counts.

It's a surprise this place hadn't zap the little strength I had in me. To be honest, if I had a choice I would be running out of here, fast. The only thing that's keeping me from going into panic mode was the girl that sat few feet away from where I stood by the window.

I silently watched as Manchester go over a note with Stanley. Right now, I need some alone time for me to carry out the real reason for being here in the first place.

Jus as at the same time I rack my brain on how to lure her out, her doe-brown eyes found mine. We stay that way for a few second, before she smiled and looked away. This game has been going on for a while. We make eye contact, she smiles, then she looks away first, and I'm left to wonder.

I didn't know why, but I found myself enjoying it way more than I should. Maybe it's because of the warmth that spreads around my chest when our eyes meet or the fact I don't feel so out of place here with her checking up on me.

I could swear she knew I wasn't a fan of the hospital but acted clueless, waiting for me to  open up to her. Well, clueless she would remain because I wasn't ready to share something personal with her. If I did, that would mean I accept her fully.

I don't want that, because after all this is done, I would have no business with her and I would be out of her hair like I was never there. That was the initial plan before I stumbled upon that note. The note that changed everything. The note with the familiar handwriting.

↤↤↤↤↤↦↦↦↦↦

"Allen open the door." Matilda's voice jerked me awake from the beautiful dream I was having. Not that I remember what it was in particular. But I sure woke up with a smile so it must be good.

Besides what is she doing here?

I thought she left like an hour ago. Maybe she misses me. My lips curled up in a cynical smile.

Another bang on the door wiped it away and I jumped down from my bed to oblige her request.

She breezed in past me immediately I opened the door. I frown, something was wrong.

It was confirmed when she did not stop pacing about my room. My protective instinct was suddenly up in a gear as I walked up to her.

"What's wrong?" I gently ask. She stopped to look at me. I sucked in a breath. I can never get over the shock of her beauty. How I desperately want to run my hands through her hair and brush away the worry lines that was etched on her pretty face.

"Have a look," she said, stretching a rumpled paper towards me. I snatched it, wondering what it might be as I opened it. I know it is definitely not good.

I felt the inside of my tummy tighten as I reread the nine words that was inked boldly on the paper. A threat.

"We are coming for your family, best be prepared?" I read out loud trying to make sense of it.

"Gosh Allen, you didn't have to do that. I'm scared as it is." She squealed. Her worry lines became even more pronounced.

"Sorry Hon, but seriously, what's the meaning of this?"

"I really don't know too. I decided to take my purse out of my bag and boom I found the note, got scared and came straight here."

If the situation was any different, I'd be teasing her right now about coming first to me for help. But it is still comforting to know that I was first on her list.