Chapter 10- I Need Her

Allen

I couldn't help but remember how a day that seemed promising at the beginning turned out to be tragic at the end. And everything happened in a hospital. If only I had taken caution, maybe the three death would have been prevented.

Matilda didn't deserve to die. Her parents also didn't deserve to die either. The more I think of it, the more I feel like I am missing something. I have thought about it over and over but nothing seems to add up. It is frustrating really. And I know I won't get over that day until I find the missing piece.

Being in a hospital surrounding or even sighting it in the least is enough to bring all the memories back. She really didn't deserve to die. I could feel my insides threatening to puke out all I ate today. My legs felt weak at the moment and I suddenly realized I had been standing on one spot.

Anyone who saw me now would know something is wrong. No, I don't need that. I need to regain composure and face my fears. The last time I revisited a hospital after the incident, I had also hesitated but quickly overcame it because someone was right beside me. That someone had been Manchester.

Although she's here but not beside me. It's not like I need her or something. I can do this on my own...

"Allen." The simple sound of my name brought back the world back into focus. My eyes found hers. It was filled with concern and questions. As I got drowned into her beautiful eyes, I couldn't bring myself to tell her that I was okay, neither could I tell her my fears.

"What?" I managed to sound intimidating, but she sent a small smile my way instead. That was enough to tell me she wasn't buying my act.

"Come inside unless you would be the one to catch a cold." She didn't let me respond because she picked up my hand almost immediately and dragged me inside the warmth of the building. To be honest that felt good because my insides became calm. I was also grateful she did not bombard me with questions.

She all but introduced me to her friends when we got inside. I knew Blessing back in high school and wasn't surprised to see her. She had bumped into Manchester the very first day she entered the school. Well she used to be quiet back then but I wasn't sure about now. She looks different. Although she couldn't quite hide the fact she was surprised to see me which I totally understand.

And there was Reginald. He felt very familiar but my brain wasn't bringing up anything. Maybe my mind was playing a trick on me because I didn't sense any recognition on his own part. He acted very neutral. Then I got to meet Lilly and Tiffany for the first time.

We both settled down afterwards and waited with the others. Manchester kept fussing over me and asking if I was okay every now and then but I was too tired to tell her off. Rather I felt drowsy. I had not rested right from the time I got back from the trip. It had been one event or the other. And all of it was to ensure Manchester was safe. These were my last thoughts as I gave into sleep.

"Yes. The school has notified his parents and they are on their way. But please could you tell us his condition. We are his friends."
I could hear Reginald words as I slowly drifted awake.

The first thing I noticed was that my head was placed somewhere unusual. From my peripheral vision, I noticed someone's shoe were up close. And then it dawned on me, my head was on someone's lap. I immediately sat upright and found Manchester giving me a look I couldn't place.

"You are awake." I felt embarrassed at that moment as I looked at anywhere but her.

"How long was I out?" I asked after a moment of trying to regain balance.