Arc 1: Chapter 19

Across the empty road, lies empty vehicles as well as dried dead bodies and cut off body parts, were seen littering the ground. It just stopped raining, thus, the putrid scent wafted through one's nose mixed with the damp smell of something rotting. The smell was so disgusting, one had to hold their breath in to stop being nauseous.

Despit that, the people currently trudging as they surveyed the surroundings, seemed as if they were used to it and unaffected. It was to be expected since it was no longer something new to those who survived through and is still surviving till this day of end days. All of them had to gets used to it and live with it.

The heavy combat boots as well as the armaments and large back pack on their body made almost no sound, just a soft thump against the slightly muddied road. They walked with silence and soft breathing, just like a well trained special ops before the apocalypse. However, the small chattering still broke the silence as they walked with purposeful stride. Their guard was up and ready if anything unexpected happen. This journey seemed too tense for all to relax.

Because the area is a city which used to be bustling all year round, seeing it deserted feels ominous and unnerving. It was a shopping district that was always a tourist destination and is one of the largest city across the country. The population reaching almost a billion, not including those tourist who were caught in the city when the apocalypse started, seemed like a mere illusion that none will ever experience ever again.

Because this is the apocalypse that made it to be.

No living being in sight, only empty spaces and broken sceneries that can never be appreciated just like before.

Perhaps, there were still some survivors, but who would expose themselves to a group of unknown and suspicious looking individuals. Nowadays, it wasnt the undead that humans needs to be wary of but humans themselves. The worst change happened because it's in ones nature to prioritize oneself to survive. No one seemed to care and no is to be blame. That's just how it is. This kind of scene is common as of this age.Just like how killing and dying is normal, the destruction brought by the apocalypse is nothing but trivialities to those who survived the catastrophic disaster.

"It's the last city we have to check. Why can't they have a shortcut instead? It's far enough, now it's dangerous enough too. There's no such thing as safe areas. Such deserted place is suspicious no matter how i look at it." - Rod complained as he walked along with the others. His large frame seemed to tower over the others. However, his whining made him a brat instead of being a scary man.

Walking beside him is Grid. He silently surveyed the surroundings, nodded to himself, silently agreeing, but still didn't made a comment.

"Boss said that there's no other way, the bridge has been destroyed from the various accidents when the apocalypse started. Thus we had to find another way. We had already took a detour. This is the last road." - Bunny answered grimly. Bunny looked larger compared to Grid yet smaller than Rod. This made Grid looked more feminine when compared to her body builder stature. A complete opposite of her name.

What she said was the truth. Since she scouted first begore letting the others follow. Three days after that final fight with the nightwalkers, Martin decided to rush towards the assigned area. However, they discovered that the shortest route is no longer possible. Thus they had to take another route, and sad to say, this place is farther from the other one. It is also the only place that connects the said target location.

And since the place is messed up like this, there's no other way but to walk on foot and find a new vehicle to travel with since the bridge before the city is also destroyed too. The bridge were cracked on its sides, only a small part can be walk on. Such a wide and sturdy bridge was destroyed, one makes you wonder how it happened. Perhaps there is something dangerous out there. Something more powerful than anh nightwalkers theh had encountered .

Thus they had to leave their supply and their comrades who needs to heal and recuperate. Thus, some combat experts and supers were left behind as well since there's also a possibility that they will be attacked. Only the elites and combat ready personnel were assigned to come along.

Now, there's only 26 of them here.

Five carried simple food supply, three were assigned doctors, while the remaining others carried armaments.

"Still, look at that man, how can one move after just a day of rest? Look! His skin looks like they're bleeding." Rod stated, amazed, as he moved forward, his gaze fleeting from time to time towards Bastian walking calmly with his boss. His body seemed normal, except for those red scar marks littering across his skin. He looks badass, but everyone know how irritating and painful it can be. He looks like he was burned alive and is just starting to heal now. What a monster. He, himself, knows that he wouldn't be able to endure if he had the same injuries as Bastian, thus he appreciated the other more. He couldn't helped but express his thoughts.

"We can hear you, Rod. Focus and dont let your guard down." Martin chided. However, though his tone is a little impatient, his gaze would always land at the almost healed man beside him. He was worried that he might get infected, but it seemed nothing to the other. He also did not complain nor showed fatigue and exhaustion even though they've been waking for almost two hours now despite being injured. "Are you really okay? You shouldn't have come." Martin voiced his concern and doubt softly, so that only Bastian can hear his words. But Bastian just looked ahead, a small smirk gracing his lips as he shrugged his shoulders.

"I am fine. Probably, better than ever. My body is light and I am at my peak rightnow. I say my body was pushed to the limit and finally overcome my weakness. It's a blessing in disguise." Although it is truly painful, Bastian still need to accompany Martin to protect him. He cant let Martin go alone. Because this place is the graveyard for his team mates. In the original story, the other people among with them died and only two survived. Bastian and Martin. Although it was not a part of the mission to save the people with Martin, Bastian knew that Martin will never leave them behind. Thus, he needs to tag along with them and act so heroically as he made the man worry even more than he already is.

Martin wanted to argue but doing so is useless since they'd already cross the broken bridge and is almost halfway of the city. He should've harden himself to not be swayed by Bastians stare. Now he is more worried than ever!

"I have never doubted my judgement despite encountering so many unexpected happenings. But you- you made me doubt myself for the first time." Martin voiced, he himself knew that wasnt truly the case. He himself knew how he always thinks that his mistakes and error in judgement , cost him his team mates lives. His lovers life. However, he wanted to change it. Change what needed to be changed and finished what he never finished in the first few times he lived. Perhaps, this will be the answer to his endless life cycle.

Perhaps he will be finally able to rest and of peace. Live with the people who supports him, and be with the person he likes. Be in a relationship with the man he likes. Although he seemed to never win with fate, he wished and hoped that this time, it will end differently.

"Boss, why so serious? Besides, I doubt that you've never been unsure before. Besides, human is merely an ant to the universe itself, thus, we cannot be surely sure of what's to come. But isn't it fine? You've already done your best and proved yourself to them as their comrades and superior that they can leave with their backs with. Dont worry, I'll be alive and kicking until you've deemed me unnecessary anymore. And perhaps I'll be talking big, but trust me. Trust us. You're not alone. Dont you think it's a waste to ponder over such things? We just do whag we had to do." Perhaps this statement is a lie. And perhaps Bastian never truly understood what Martin feels like, still it does not matter. Afterall, he chose to be of help to the man. It may be for personal interest at first, but he can now surely tell, he is now doing it sincerely. Not for anyone, but for Martin himself.

Bastian knew what affection means. He also knows that Martin is slowly occupying his empty heart little by little. He is finally living. Living. Not just merely passing through the days like before

when he transmigrated but truly in a sense of finding one's puspose in life. It was fulfilling.