Arc 1: Chapter 23

Martin and Bastian has never been given a chance to enjoy their lives in the past. They were obligated to live a life filled with responsibilities and obligations.

Now walking side by side, although the surroundings is not so romantic due to rubbles and dirts, as well as the never ending smell of rotting flesh, Martin could still feel his heart beating  a little too fast. His hands felt clammy due to his nervousness. A feeling he always felt when he's around Bastian.

The two, silent yet comfortable as they walked together, stared ahead, both with melancholic expression. Perhaps, due to both of them being absent minded, they both didnt realized how they look from afar in the eyes of their on duty subordinates.  They do look like a very compatible couple. The thing is, both were oblivious to the couply aura they showed at times they were together. 

Thus the considerate subordinates decided to not be a third wheeler by going around them, and by refusing to join when they were together. Let them have the time to enjoy themselves despite the lack of romantic dating place. 

The two continued walking together,

Martin remembered that Bastian seemed wanting to tell him something earlier. He glanced at Bastian, "Right, what do you want to say earlier?"

With his question, Bastian's attention finally settled on his face. He pursed his lips, his mismatched eyes seemingly blankly staring at his face but Martin knew- he's probably thinking.

And after a moment of ruminating, Bastian finally said,

"I said that as we get stonger, abilities we normally dont possess, also starts to develop, right?"

Martin blinked, nodded his head in affirmation, waiting for what Bastian is going with his theory. Although he was sure that Bastian is powerful, Martin was never really sure when his abilities starts to manifest. He just suddenly able to do things you normally wont be able to do if you're a normal human. It was the type of a superhuman abilities that goes way beyond physical enhancement.

"I have a very sensitive senses. I can tell that you already know that that attack wasnt simply to eat us or treat us a food ration, it's an attack that is planned and well thought."Bastian said lightly, however, his eyes is serious. " If I'm not wrong, our guess that there's something out there manipulating the nightwalkers and the undead to ambush us, is true. Then, we'd  better assume that it's not the end of it. Earlier, the escaped night walker ran   somewhere, and I think it is to reorganize. Just like us, the smart fucker is reassembling the remaining forces to stop us from getting any closer to the meteor." Bastian meshed his words with truth and lies to not be questioned for all his intel, who would believe him if he tell them the truth.

Besides, although it was not stipulated that his purpose had to remain hidden as well as having the system, he still had the common sense to understand that he, just like in the real world, is an alien. A lifeform  that lives in a body of someone else.

A parasite? Perhaps.

Hearing his statement, Martin knew as well what he meant. During his past regression, the ambush came like wave. It was an attack that whittled the human forces down until only a few remained.

It was a war of attrition. And seeing as the number of human population went down, the undead already had the advantage from the very start. Not to mention the fact that not all humans had the ability to defend themselves.

The endless attack of the nightwalker and well as the undead brought forth destruction that not even the greedy General can easily recover what was lost.

"Based on my observation, the last one to escape is hidden much nearer at the forests entrance. It wasn't that much far from here, but we cant really walk all the way with a lot of people and supplies. " -Bastian explained. His gloved hands reached for a cigarette from his breast pocket. His gaze filled with firm determination to do what he thought is the key to the success of the retrieval of the essense.