Arc 1: Chapter 28

Martin moved fast, his steps light as he trudged and jumped through the forest. Branches and leaves hit him, but he seemed numbed and uncaring. His target is not that far. He can feel its presence. And he's also sure, that that thing can feel his.

As he move closer from the target, he can feel the air seemed humid. Its presence akin to a thin-film brushing up his skin. His sharp eyes narrowed as he saw a tall and thin figure standing at the large boulder not so far from him.

The night walker, with its empty hollow eyes, dried bark-like skin, and long tongue, stood unmoving, seemingly awaiting his arrival.  It hissed and growl lowly, sharp clawed hands dragging at its own skin. It's disgusting look surprisingly different from his past life.

During his last regression, this monster is plumped, full from eating too much people from various military bases trying to gather the essence of Nullah. It's tongue despite being long, seemed like it was made of metal, so sharp that it can even cut through a wall. It has large physique not this skinny and bonny one before him. The only similarity is its large head and hollow eyes.

For Martin who had encounter it every regression, this thing looks totally  malnourished, compared to its obesed form. Martin couldn't helped but tsk. It seems he hasn't eaten enough yet.
Thanking himself that he chose to deal with it earlier. Not letting it develop and evolve anymore. Such a monster is a natural disaster when the time comes.

Holding a gun on one hand and a dagger to the other, Martin stood five meters away from it. He listened to the surrounding, searching for any traps it may had laid before his arrival. His lips curved up as he sensed various mutant animals hiding around. Due to the towering trees around him, he couldn't exactly see where they were hidden. But he's quite sure that this monster had prepared for it.

When swift movements, he dodged almost with no large movements. Just a simple sidestepped of his evaded the attack of a dark green viper. Seeing the snake, Martin slashed. The dagger slicing the head and its body into three. Then he jumped back, avoiding another attack from another animal he wasn't sure of since it looks beyond recognition. It looks like a monkey, but the squirming flesh on its body, not to mention the fact that it has no head, seemed to truly display its abnormality. It has no head but is able to attack and jump around, chasing him relentlessly. It also looks disgusting.

Martin couldn't helped but pursed his lips. Eyes Scanning for another attack, and he did not disappoint himself. A bird larger that usual attack with its talon. It screech as its large wings flapped, supporting itself from falling in mid air, as Martin shot it with precision on its head. Although its head was blown off, it didn't immediately fall. The monkey like thing grabbed it, stuffed its dead body on its chest area and eat it cleanly.

Martin's eyes widened as a large mouth with razor sharp teeth appeared at its chest, grinding and swallowing the large mutant eagle before attacking at him again.

With his attention at the incredulous sight, Martin heard a whistling sound. A sharp yet long tongue aimed at his head, hitting the bark of a tree. It caused a crack and the splinter flew like shrapnel towards his face. Martin lose a footing making him slid down the tree he was perched on.

Fuck!

He cursed angrily. This sneaky fucker !

Martin let himself fall, shooting at the various animals aiming for him. His accuracy fell but he mostly hit his target, though he couldn't kill some. It still gave him time to compose himself.

Martin scowled as the nightwalker perched itself up at the tree he used to stand on. It's hideous face seemingly showing an expression of smugness, taunting Martin even more.