Arc 1: Chapter 25

Having been chased, ambushed and fought for the last three days. Martin Bastian and the rest moved towards the end of the city where the mountain's entrance is. Though it will still take two stops before they arrive, the team remained vigilant all the time.

The team was composed of Rod, Grid, Martin, Bastian, Bunny and two normal humans for the retrieval. The rest where left at three check points where they will guard and clean up the remaining undead for a fast retreat after the retrieval. Since they cannot let the zombies gather, the rest of the people from the group were assigned to monitor and secure a way out in case of unexpected situations. Andrei, the tech savie and Sarah remained at the temporary base. Those who cannot fight also remained. They assist and helped with logistics and first aid applications when there's injured.

Although it is dangerous to be separated, Bastian agreed that they will be able to move much freely without worrying about extra baggage to carry.

It will be dangerous but atleast, unnecessary sacrifices can be avoided.

With the small group, they moved around the last block before entering the last road going to the side entrance of the mountain.

However, seeing as the horizon is slowly turning darker by the minute, Martin finally issued that they rest for the night in a small factory at the end of the road.. Since it was decided, the members immediately cleaned up the remaining undead to set up the camp. Then, they ate their rations in silence. The two normal humans timidly glance at the super humans protecting them and feel like calming down. Their tensed expressions finally relaxed as they ate silently.

Martin glanced at him team, then at Bastian who was silently seated near him. He took a bite of his biscuit, then took a sip of water in the bottle. He then gave tge bottle to Bastian who's eating his own food. Although it tasted like a bland sand, it still filled up their hungry stomach, thus no one really spoke how unpalatable it was. Not to mention that the end of the world is no longer new to all of them. Good tasting food is a luxury now.

During the night, everyone has their designated post to guard, except for the two normal humans, who can't fight, all of them remained guarding the surrounding, remaining vigilant.

Up the third floor,
Martin held up his binoculars that was installed with night vision to see the surroundings. Seeing as there's no movement, he finally heave a sigh.
He felt like there's something wrong. A feeling that tonight is a long night.

"You've been working too hard, Boss." Bastian's voice sounded beside him, making Martin flinched.

He turned towards the man, eyeing the piece of gum he was giving to him. He smirked, amused. A piece of gum is also hard to come by now. It was now sorted as a confectionery that can no longer be found easily. Martin took one and watched Bastian unwrapped it before munching away. His gaze still at the vast darkness surrounding them. Martin followed suit, chewing the gum, and tasting the fruity minty flavor that he hasn't tasted for a very long time.

"We're nearer than before, but I see no movements." He muttered.

Bastian paused, then looked at Martin standing beside him. The man looks nothing like feminine but Bastian felt that ifhe were to choose between a woman and Martin, he'd surely say that he's the right one. Bastian had never even considered his sexuality, well, maybe he did, once. But living a life cycle that remains on repeat seemed to dull your preferences and senses. There's no thrill, no adventure and excitement, just pure boredom. A desire to end what has been repeatedly played slowly made him irritable as the days goes by. "It is because there's no movement, that says there's definitely wrong. Not even those ugly looking mutated rats seemed to show themselves. There is no noise and the air is filled with this tense atmosphere. They will move tonight. That nightwalker knew that it can no longer let us come nearer to the meteor."