Arc 1: Chapter 27

The bickering of the two continued until a sound akin to a massive body being dragged resounded at the inner part of the trees covered mountain... along with it followed various howls and growls of animals, probably mutant ones.

Martin glanced at the source of the disturbing sound, his grip at his gun tightened noticeably, as unease bloomed inside him.

Although he expected it, he still couldn't believe the fact that that walker truly has its trump card. However, compared to that time, the walker which led the mutants seemed in an incomplete evolution. Perhaps, it is only beginning  its metamorphosis. Also, seeing as the power and simple attacking movements of the undead and mutants, the thinking of the boss seemed to be limited to its natural way of thinking. It was not experienced enough because it hasn't met that many of a humans specializing in combat such as them. They hadn't  met a prey that cannot be easily hunted.

Martin also understood what's happening, it seems that the backup plan has arrived. The little thing is quiet smart to even gather such massive mutant nightwalkers just to delay them. Oh, not delay, kill them. However, it wasn't that capable enough to succeed. It was also the reason why he chose to attack it early, stopping its growth by nipping it in the bud.

The two normal humans clutched at each other for moral support. They truly have  no fighting prowess to speak of. All they can do is hand the bullets and other long range weapon that they brought to Bunny as she snipe them down. Then, try to kill some and fired some shot as back ups. However, despite being useless to such, they are the most important people and the core of the mission.

Thus Rod stood near them, standing while holding the dagger firmly in his hands. The first wave was enough to consume his bullets, nothing is left. Now, all is left is a battle of attrition.
Seeing as he's out of choice but to fight in hand, he grunted. Glad that he trained with Bastian along the way. It helps him greatly. Now that he's in a situation where he can finally apply his learning, Rod felt excited. Even if he die protecting this two, it wouldn't matter. No one will be able to touch the sample except for them. It's the only thing he can do.

Bunny, with the same thought reloaded her riffle, eyes trained at the trees falling not far from the factory. It seems like something large is bulldozing its way towards them! She took a deep breath, focusing her attention to her target, fingers hovering the trigger. Her heart, despite the chaos around, seemed to calm down even more.

Grid felt tired. Truly tired. But who among them isn't? What he killed wasnt half as many as Bastian's hunt. And the man wasn't even a special soldier loke him before the apocalypse! Like, Man, what'd you eat to be so monstrous despite having such a slender built. Not even  Rod can compare with his fighting strength, which is a special ops soldier, a killing machine during the most peaceful time of humanity. And Bastian is quite popular too. A known artist, a musician and an actor. The Bastian back then is simply too, flamboyant? His hair has always been dyed. He wasn't even sure what color it was originally. He also wears a lot of styles of clothings, not to mention the times where his face seemed to be everywhere due to his various endorsement. Even him, Grid, who's not even that much aware of entertainment industry caught a glimpse of his face, many times when he's on his day off. Even his team mate back then seemed to go crazy when the man is mentioned. Fawning and cooing how perfect Bastian is. Which was completely different from what he had seen and observed so far.

The man is petty. The man is a jerk. And the man is skilled beyond normal. His every movement and speech seemed completely opposite the way he was. He almost didn't recognize the man the very first time they met. He looks weak and pitiful, but his gait and attitude seemed to say otherwise. Which makes him angry at that time. They were saving him, not the other way around, but Bastian surely shows an expression of meeting annoying flies. And what fueled him even more is the fact that he act like the most important person. Even Martin has to talk to him carefully. Just like a person dealing with a cautious beast. Like hell! What is wrong with everyone? He was angry, thus, made a joke out of himself. He was beaten so badly. And was trained even worst after that. Everytime they trained he'd have the most painful cramp he had ever had for the most of his life. Swinging a short dagger, killing undead and mutant animals just by hand to hand combat, was too tiring and body aching activity. However,  despite being so, it is truly useful now. He can still fight a round. And his stamina is able to keep up with the fighting.