Chapter 11

"Breathe, babe. We'll talk to your dad and get this whole thing sorted out." Max said cupping his face. "I know he did this on purpose." Max sighed at Seth's angry eyes. "Your great-grandfather is an ass, yes, but do you really think he would invest this far down the family line?"

Seth moved his face. "God is always playing chess, especially when everyone else is playing checkers." He walked out of the alley already over school. He knew he missed lunch with his sisters, but he just wanted to get this day over with and speak to his father.

"Let's go to our remaining classes and then head home." Max said beside him getting a grunt in response. "You haven't been home in weeks." Seth snapped.

"I know, but you know why. That's all going to change now. We have a situation on our hands and I'm sure your grandfather will understand my priorities have rightfully shifted." Seth kept walking lost in his thoughts.

Max knew Seth was thinking about the gravity of their predicament. They both smelt her first, but when they touched her, they felt it. That missing puzzle piece that they had been grappling with had been found. Monique was theirs and for a moment there everything felt perfect. Then they discovered what she was and who she was tethered to. It changed everything.

Guardian angels were elder angels whose purpose was to sacrifice themselves for their tether in a life-or-death situation. They were always elderly, because this role was the equivalent to angels retiring.

They have extremely long lives and take on the role as the final step before entering the holiest of realms. The fact that Monique was a guardian angel didn't make any sense, but the moment Seth learned she was his it all clicked. His great-grandfather was dealing out punishments to this side of his family.

Guardian angels and their supernatural tethers often had familial type relationships since the guardian was so much older and the supernatural creature could see them. There was one known instance where the tether and guardian angel fell in love in a very age gap themed dynamic and God was not pleased or happy about it.

He stripped the guardian of his wings and forced him to spend his life as a mortal. It was because he was so old in angel years, however, that he died almost immediately. His tether went crazy with grief and took her life days later.

Everyone knew their story and it currently scared the shit out of both Max and Seth. They couldn't lose her, but they couldn't risk loving her either and having her powers stripped. "We'll figure this out, babe. I promise." Max said squeezing his hand as they made their way into their Calculus class. Seth looked up and saw his two sisters sitting together near the front. They had two seats open beside them and he knew they were for him and Max.

They walked over and stood before them when Seth immediately noticed both Philip and Jonah sitting in the back with Lazlo beside them. Monique was there also, laughing at something Lazlo said and they each growled lowly in jealousy. They saw the moment she noticed them because her eyes met theirs and softened.

It immediately warmed them. Seth wanted to go talk to her. He just wanted to be near her, but Aslan pulled him down to his seat as the professor walked to the front of the class. "We need to talk." Both Aslan and Seth said in unison. They nodded at one another before sitting back and listening to their lecture.

Freya didn't hear a word the professor said, because she was currently trying to stop outside from experiencing a tornado. She hated Philip. She sighed to herself because she knew that was a lie. She loved the emotionless bastard more than she cared to admit and it killed her. The battle that raged within her was what would cause a category 5 hurricane.

Philip Wang was her mate. He was supposed to love her. He was supposed to care for her. He was supposed to do all the things Fate demanded for those destined to be together, but he didn't.