10

Steve drummed his fingers on the arm of his chair as he waited patiently for Zemo to arrive and meet with him. Wren had persuaded him to meet the Baron, stating that he would be impressed with just what he could bring to Hydra. He had his doubts, but would give the man the benefit of the doubt, after all, he'd taken the time and effort to seek them out. 

Wren stood behind him, hands delicately massaging his shoulders and leant down. "You are becoming impatient..." She'd noted it ten minutes before when he'd become a little irritable, trying to make himself more comfortable while he sat. 

"I'm always fucking impatient. He's late."

"He and Rumlow have been in meetings all morning."

Steve huffed and shifted slightly. "I wait for no one." Wren's hands were still staying firmly on his shoulders, kneading a little harder to try and ease his stress. Her hand down his trousers kneading something else would have been a far better solution in his opinion, but he would take what he could get. 

"You will like him. He's an agreeable man and a useful ally to have. His family were the richest in Sokovia after all." Wren now explained a little more of Zemo's history. He knew all about that anyway, Steve had made sure to do his homework on the man. 

"Were." He pointed out. "What's the Baron got going for him now?"

"Vengeance..."

That as well as links to people of power who they could potentially get on their side.

There was finally a knock on the door and it opened. Rumlow showed Zemo in, nodding to Steve and Wren before exiting to stand guard outside. "Captain, Madame..." Zemo bowed his head after acknowledging them both before turning back to Steve again. "It is a pleasure to finally meet you, Captain."

"Madame Hydra told me a lot about you Zemo...quite an impressive resume." Steve sat there, looking Zemo up and down to try and make out his character. 

"And I only hope for it to grow longer, Captain."

So far, so good.

Wren watched as Steve got up and circled the Baron. "So...you want revenge for your dead family..." The Captain now said. 

"That and revenge for my people, my country. I have experience in war Captain, just like your good self – I have connections that will come of use to Hydra. Some politicians and governors, as well as men who I know have lost people and want justice as much as I do."

"Zemo lost his son." Wren now stated to Steve who turned and gave her a curt nod.

Turning back to the Baron, Steve looked at him from under his helmet. "Now that alone is the worst crime that the Avengers could have committed. I am sorry Baron."

"Now do you understand why I want to fight alongside you, Captain? The world hails them as heroes when they are truly the villains of this narrative."

Steve smirked. "I couldn't have put it any better Zemo. Madame tells me that you were part of the Sokovian kill squad. How have you and Rumlow been getting along?"

"Very, very well...he is a man of tactics."

"Good, because I want you and him to prepare STRIKE for your next move."

"Which is?"

"Stealing a biological weapon from the IFID in Lagos – The Avengers will 'conveniently' gain some intel from Sitwell as to what you plan to do. They'll try and stop you, and..." Steve made a 'boom' gesture with his hand. "Use the weaker members of the team for the detonation, and keep both of yourselves at a clear distance. Even if we only take out some of the Avengers, it'll still be worth it. We can always train newer ones."

And he would be watching. He was always watching. 

Wren looked to Steve. "What about the Winter Soldiers?"

"I'm saving them for a rainy day, their time will come little bird. Just you wait." Now she was the one who was being impatient. 

There was a pleasant but intimidating smile on Zemo's face. "We will not let you down Captain."

"Have they told you what will happen if they do?"

"I have an idea of just what may be the outcome."

He crossed his arms and stood in front of the Baron. "I'm looking forward to seeing just how much damage you and Rumlow can do. You can go."

Zemo nodded and saw himself out.

Once the door had closed, Wren looked at Steve. "You never told me about your intentions for Lagos?" Walking to the table where she poured them both a drink.

"It's on a need to know basis. You do not need to know. Your place is here." He reminded her, taking the glass from her and downing it in one.

"I need to know if it concerns the agents – which clearly it does!" She retorted, the annoyance clear from her tone. Just once she wished that he would just tell her of what he had planned instead of keeping it to himself.

The smash of the glass shattering against the wall was heard before Wren found herself up against it, Steve's hand around her neck. "Don't..." he squeezed, pushing her back harder into the wall. "All it takes is a nice squeeze and that little neck of yours will snap in two. I told you before – do not mess with my affairs!"

"They're mine too, you made me like this." She choked out, eyes raging fire at him.

His grasp tightened as he lifted her from the floor slowly. "You belong here. Your job is to ensure that HQ is running. Nothing more and nothing less. Do. You. Understand?" he looked up at her as he asked her slowly.

Wren grasped at his hands, trying to prise them from her neck without much success. He was too strong for her, and already she her vision was clouding as she nodded limply.

He let go, letting her drop to the floor and gasp for air. Her eyes looked up at him as he loomed over her and narrowed. "You fucking touch me like that again and..."

Steve grabbed her and pulled her up, grip like a vice. "Or what!" he spat.

She yanked her arm from his grasp and rubbed at her neck. There were bound to be marks there from where his fingers had dug into her skin. Her feet found themselves walking to the door, pulling it open before looking back at him with a glare. "I swear I'll bury you alive."

Was she threatening him?

Yes. He knew that she was – and yet somehow she was confident that she could see it through. Steve stared hard at her, a burning rage inside of him. There was something appealing about this and her actions, yet it also pissed him off that once again she was challenging his authority.

Two pairs of eyes met across the room as his next words cut through the air like a knife.

"Not if I bury you first."