Chapter 7: Business from the Shadows

After Oswald had Hugo Strange's young niece rescued from Sofia Falcone, Hugo was much more cooperative. He came up with a neutralizing agent for the toxin but said it could only work once the toxin was active so Edward approached Oswald about the question that had been on his mind for the past month since they had found out about all this. "So I've been avoiding the question at hand but now that we have something that will prevent your death if we decide to...um..." Said Edward as he tried to be as polite as possible when discussing what he considered to be a delicate subject currently.
"To kill it." Said Oswald as he stood in front of the mirror adjusting his tie.
"Well yes... Is that something you were considering?" Asked Edward as Oswald sighed.
"Ed, do you know what it's like to have the family you have die in your arms twice?" Asked Oswald as he looked at Ed from his reflection. "It makes me feel like I'm cursed or something!" Exclaimed Oswald as he turned.
"I'm not following." Stated Edward as Oswald hung his head.
"I'm saying that a apart of me wants to get rid of it so we won't ever have to face that but another part knows that's selfish to snuff out a life just to save yourself the emotional despair." Said Oswald as Edward sighed.
"I don't know what to do either." Said Edward as he looked at Oswald.
"Let's just wait a few days to decide this, alright?" Asked Oswald as he took Edward's hand softly.
"You're right." Said Edward as he leaned in and kissed Oswald sweetly.

Days turned to weeks, weeks turned to months and eventually the subject of their child came into light once more. "Oswald we should really decide what to do before things develop much further." Said Edward as Oswald huffed.
"I just don't want to talk about it right now." Said Oswald as he walked away from Edward but Edward followed.
"Then when?! When you're 4 hours into labor or when we have an infant to keep out of harms way?!" Shouted Edward as Oswald sighed.
"Please Ed." Begged Oswald as he stopped.
"Why don't you want to talk about this?!" Demanded Edward as Oswald had had enough of Edward's demands.
"BECAUSE I WANT TO KEEP IT ALRIGHT!!" Shouted Oswald as he couldn't even look at Edward when he said it.
"How long have you felt that way?" Asked Edward calmly as Oswald hung his head.
"For about a month, I was just to scared to tell you." Said Oswald as he started to cry letting his emotions get the better of him.
"Oswald you didn't need to be scared." Said Edward as he walked over to him placing his hand on his back.
"You were just so dead set on the neutralizer I just felt that you didn't want it." Said Oswald still hanging his head feeling ashamed of keeping the way he felt from Edward.
"Oswald I only wanted it for your safety I feel just as you do." Said Edward as he held the side of Oswald's face.
"You do?" Asked Oswald softly.
"Of course I do." Said Edward softly as he kissed Oswald then held him tightly.
"Why didn't you tell me?" Asked Oswald as he laid his head on Ed's shoulder.
"Because I just decided." Said Edward softly. "I was indifferent until I realized just how much you love it and I couldn't dare break your heart by deciding against you." Said Edward as Oswald lifted his head and stared at him with a loving look in his eyes. "And you never know maybe I'll be a better father than my own." Said Edward with a smile.
"What do you mean?" Asked Oswald as Edward shook his head.
"Nevermind it doesn't matter." Said Edward still smiling but this seemed like it was forced.
"No what is it?" Asked Oswald as he held the side of Ed's face.
"Fine." He muttered as he looked as if he really didn't want to talk about it but he knew Oswald wasn't going to let up until he spoke up about it. "I honestly envy that love you have for your parents. I never new my mother but my father was a horrible. For a long time I wished I had the courage to kill him and I wouldn't have been convicted like with Miss Kringle because this would've been self defense." Muttered Edward as he began to pace at the thought of his past.
"Did your father beat you?" Asked Oswald in a concerned tone.
"Not just physically. If you ever wondered why I was such a nervous dork it was because my father constantly told me that I was nothing, that I was a moron! The old man was actually threatened by my intellect! I was a kid and Everytime I tried to prove to him that I wasn't what he said, he insisted that I cheated! Honestly it's hard to remember now if I did or didn't." Muttered Edward as he shuffled his feet. "I guess that's why I was indecisive about all this. Like what if our kid is smarter than me, will I really be so threatened that I set out to make them suffer?!" Asked Edward as he sighed.
"Not while I'm still here. I'll keep you in line if I have too." Said Oswald with a smirk as Edward laughed a little.
"I love you." Said Edward as Oswald took his hand both of them smiling.
"I love you too." Said Oswald softly.