Chapter 12: Hurt

Oswald feeling terribly tired finally laid Daniel down to sleep. The boy was teething so his screaming was out of pain and nothing seemed to work until Edward decided to think like a half wit and handed Oswald a bottle of scotch, they rubbed it on his gums and finally he was asleep. Oswald left the room as quietly as he could turning off the main light leaving on four small lamps in the room leaving it just lit enough for Daniel to be able to sleep and not think it was dark. They had made the room dimmer and dimmer each night hoping they could get him to sleep in the dark but everytime they got to the point where the lights were too dim he'd scream all night so they decided that they keep the room as dim as they could and not force him to sleep in the dark. Oswald closed the door softly leaving it open just a bit so they could hear him if he woke up then walked into his room. He saw that Edward was laying on the bed staring at the ceiling with his glasses off with the lights on. "This boy will be the end of me." Stated Edward as he sighed. Oswald laid next to him cuddling close to him.
"Well now he's asleep so let's hope we can do that same." Said Oswald with a bit of a yawn as he laid his head on Edward's shoulder starting to fall asleep. Suddenly there was the crack of thunder outside as the lights when out followed by the sound of Daniel crying. "Can you get him?" Begged Oswald as Edward let out a long heavy sigh.
"Fine." He muttered as he sat up grabbing his glasses. Suddenly as he opened the to their bedroom the sound of Daniel's wailing stopped. Edward looked at Oswald with a worried look as Oswald returned it. The two rushed into the little boy's room finding his crib empty.
"Where is he?!" Shouted Oswald as he felt his anger building but Edward was inspecting everything around him. He not only found obvious signs of breaking and entering as the paint on the ledge of the window was scratched so deep that the wood was dug into as if someone had climbed in the window but also found a piece of paper dropped on the floor by the window.
"They entered through here and left this behind." Stated Edward as he lifted the paper from the floor, it was a receipt for a gas station. Edward flipped it over seeing a phone number. "Oswald." Stated Edward as he held it up. "They wanted us to find this." Stated Edward sternly as he pulled his cell phone out of his pocket and dialed the number. He put it on speaker as they heard it ring. Finally they answered.
"Hello Oswald." Stated the voice of Sofia Falcone.
"How did I know you were the one behind this?" Asked Oswald in a snarky tone.
"I gave you something to lose, something weak and vulnerable so now you have a choice which I'm sure will be an easy one, your son's life for the lives of Jim Gordon and Lee Tompkins." Stated Sofia as Oswald looked at Edward. "Bring them to where you used to meet my father to talk business by noon or I'll have my associate kill the boy. Deal?" Asked Sofia sternly as Oswald sighed.
"Deal." Said Oswald as she hung up.
"Oswald you literally just signed up for a suicide mission." Stated Edward as Oswald looked up at him.
"Well do we even have a choice?!" Barked Oswald as he sighed. "I'm sure we can do this without the need for excessive violence." Stated Oswald as he took a breath feeling his hands shake.
"We'll get him back Oswald." Said Edward as he took Oswald's hand. Oswald could feel that Edward was shaking as well, though he didn't show it emotionally he was in a state panic but he wasn't ever going to show that to Oswald, he worried about their enough for the both of them.

The two were running on no sleep and almost purely adrenaline so they formed a plan rather quickly though it wasn't the best. Edward found out that Jim had pulled yet again an all nighter due dealing with a serial killer going by the name Killer Moth, so they decided Oswald would go after Jim while Edward would find Lee at their home. Jim got in his car and rubbed his eyes after a long night then heard the back door open and close, he looked up in the rear facing mirror and saw Oswald staring back at him. "Oh god what do you want now." Muttered Jim as Oswald took out his gun.
"Just to take a drive that's all." Stated Oswald sarcastically with a smug grin. So Jim started the car and looked back at him.
"So where we going?" Asked Jim as Oswald shoved the barrel of the gun into the back of Jim's head.
"Go home first we have to pick up Lee." Stated Oswald.
"What is this about Oswald?" Asked Jim as he drove.
"It doesn't matter because you and Lee dying is going to fix everything." Stated Oswald as Jim made a turn.
"Think Oswald, what could you possibly have to gain from our deaths? What does your son have to gain?" Asked Jim as Oswald felt furious that Jim would even ask such a thing. "You kill us he'll lose everything, including you and Ed. Do you really think that will benefit that kid in anyway?" Asked Jim as he parked outside his home.
"Well you're wrong about one thing Jim neither Ed nor I will be the one's killing you two." Stated Oswald as the two of them got out of the car. Oswald pressed the gun against Jim's side keeping it concealed from people on the street. Jim unlocked the door and stepped inside with Oswald close behind. They stepped inside seeing Ed pointing a gun at Lee.
"Glad I showed up when I did. Barbara picked up the kid as I walked in through the back." Stated Ed as Lee sat there on the couch.
"Ed please we can help you." Begged Lee as Edward put up a finger.
"Lee we've been over this, this is your way of helping." Stated Edward as Oswald sighed.
"You really couldn't keep your trap shut, could you?" Asked Oswald as he shook his head.
"Oswald she doesn't know a thing. All she knows is that her and Jim are going to die today." Stated Edward as he glared at his husband for assuming that he'd slip up like that with such dire consequences at hand.
"Oswald if we're gonna die can we at least know what's going on?" Asked Jim as Oswald sighed.
"Jim if you knew what was going on you'd try to find a way to get out of it with everyone alive and I'm certain that would ruin everything." Stated Oswald as Jim huffed.
"Yeah but what if we can actually help you, Oswald?!" Barked Jim as Oswald scoffed.
"You really think we're take your word for it Jim?! I've watched the way you handle things for a long time and someone gets shot or killed every single time." Stated Oswald as Lee looked at him in disbelief.
"Since when do you care about people getting hurt?" Asked Lee as the two men suddenly looked nervous like they were afraid. "Oh my god. The people who you're planning on handing us over to they have Daniel." Said Lee as Jim sighed realizing what pressure they were under.
"So it was either our lives or your son's." Stated Jim as he hung his head.
"We know you Jim, if we allowed you to try and weasel your way out of this we'd be risking way too much." Stated Edward softly like he was regretting that they had to do this.
"I understand you have to protect those you care about and if this the way you have to do it then so be it." Stated Jim with a tone like he was completely accepting of the fate at hand for him. Edward bound their hands and put them in the back of Jim's car, then they drove to where Sofia told them to meet.

There she stood holding Daniel at her hip standing outside the large chicken coop that Oswald would often see Falcone at back when he ruled Gotham. She was talking with Daniel showing him things like she wasn't thinking about killing him and that act in it of itself made Oswald's blood boil because of what Sofia had promised to Edward she would do long ago. Sofia walked over though keeping her distance from them. "I'm surprised Oswald, I didn't actually think you could do it." Stated Sofia as she stood across from them.
"Well here they are as promised." Stated Oswald as he tried to hold back his frustrations with the woman in fear if he made one wrong step it would cost Daniel his life. Sofia snapped her fingers and a man stepped up taking Daniel from her. That man along with two other men walked over to Oswald and Edward handing their son to Edward while the other two men took Lee and Jim. "I hope this is the last time we meet." Stated Oswald sternly as Sofia stared at Jim.
"With this transaction I'm very certain it will." Stated Sofia as they started walking to the house so Edward and Oswald went on their way. As they got farther and farther away putting as much distance between them and the Falcone property, they heard faint gun shots, too many to be execution style killing which both men knew was common when it came to the Falcone family.

Later that night at their home, Oswald laid in bed holding his sleeping son against his chest while Edward paced the room in a nervous way. "Ed it's over and done with, we can relax." Pleaded Oswald softly as Edward continued to pace biting the knuckle of his right index finger.
"But what if it happens again?!" Asked Edward in a paranoid tone. "They got right into his room and we didn't even notice until he was gone!" Barked Edward as he stopped staring at Oswald with this pleading look. "I think it would be better if we leave." Said Edward coldly.
"Where would we go?" Asked Oswald as Edward hung his head.
"We as in me and Daniel." Stated Edward as he looked up seeing how hurt Oswald was by the remark.
"Are you saying what happened is my fault?" Asked Oswald as he held onto Daniel tight.
"Sofia only came for him to get to you! Oswald you have a target on your back at all times! At least if Daniel was only around me he'd be safer." Stated Edward as Oswald scoffed.
"Really how!?" Asked Oswald as Daniel shifted in his hands warning them to keep their voices down.
"Gotham barely notices my existence. That's the way it's always been for me so Daniel too would go unnoticed by my side." Stated Edward softly as he never liked how absent his presence went in this city but at this point it was their best option.
"But what if he needs me and I'm not there." Pleaded Oswald as tears filled his eyes. Edward sighed coming over and sitting next to him on the bed.
"Oswald by the time he's old enough to remember anything, he won't remember any of this." Said Edward as Oswald sighed in a shaky breath.
"You promise you'll take good care of him?" Requested Oswald as he sat up still holding Daniel close to his chest.
"Of course, Oswald he is my son too." Stated Edward as he held Oswald's hand.  So that night Edward took Daniel and most of what he'd needed to take care of him and left.