25. Underhill

Wrenching herself free of the faerie's hold, Layla tumbled into a carpet of emerald grass on her back. The soft ground cushioned her fall, sparing her further bruises. She sucked in the perfumed air greedily, trembling with relief. Free. She was free of Killian's mind control.

Something heavy landed beside her, but she was too overwhelmed by her mental faculties being returned to her possession.

The sky above shone with crystalline brightness, spinning for a second until her vision sharpened.

Layla's soul felt scraped raw by the violation of the faerie's malicious spell. A tear trickled from the corner of her eye and slid down her cheek. For someone who prided herself on her mind, to have her will stolen was the worst travesty she'd ever experienced. Worse than being kidnapped by bandits. Worse than being blasted into an icy river. Worse than being trapped in another time.

A tooled leather boot appeared in her peripheral. Killian's companion gazed down at her bemused. "Welcome to Underhill, Layla of Callahan. We are home at last."

"Your home," Layla pushed slowly to her knees. "Not mine." Her head felt like it was stuffed with cotton and tingling filled her limbs.

The faerie knelt to help her. "Careful, magic is everywhere in Underhill. You will need time to adjust."

Not wanting him to touch her, Layla scrambled hurriedly to her feet. And swayed. Pressing a hand to her forehead she closed her eyes. "Spare me the feigned chivalry. I don't want it."

A hand touched her elbow. "We have lingered here long enough, Layla."

She opened her eyes. Toga lay nearby, iron sword clutched in his left fist. The demon released a low groan, his eyelids fluttering as he awoke. "My lady? Layla?"

The faerie regarded the demon's weapon warily. It was still stained with his companion's blood. Then he looked at Layla, appalled. "Why does he call you his?"

Layla didn't answer, focusing on her surroundings. The three of them stood in a meadow of such a vibrant green it was almost painful to look at. Everything was blindingly bright. The very air throbbed with magic. She rubbed her hands over her arms, goosebumps decorating her flesh.

"Toga, we aren't in Japan anymore." Her voice shook with fear.

As Toga rose, the dazzling afternoon sun glinted off the sword. Here in Underhill, it was day instead of night, the abrupt change of time disorienting. The demon lord positioned himself protectively in front of Layla, his broad back blocking her view of the faerie. "Where are we?" He barked.

"Underhill, home of the sidhe or faeries if you prefer." The faerie replied.

Toga's hold on the iron sword trembled.

Layla moved to stand beside Toga and clasped his free hand between hers. Worried because he seemed befuddled by the magic floating all around them. He was a strong demon lord. Why was he being affected?

In the distance, the sun bounced off something metal.

Toga looked straight ahead, his attention never wavering from Layla's abductor. "Layla do not stray from my side."

Why didn't he attack? Earlier Toga slew Killian without hesitation.

A cloud of dust appeared on the horizon. Someone was coming this way.

Toga knew. Layla realized. He must have heard them coming. The tide was about to turn against them. Hugging his arm, she pressed against his side. "I'm with you." She whispered, wishing she had a weapon to back up her promise.