Chapter 1

I looked up at the sign that read "Undertaker". I sighed and walked into the building. So dark, I thought as my eyes adjusted.

"Hello~, dear~. Hehe~," a pair of yellow-green eyes peered out of the darkness, causing me to jump and yelp. I fell backwards and tumbled into a coffin. This only added to my fright, making me scream.

"Oh dear~, you've fallen~ into a coffin~. Hehe~, my dear~, you must~ be more careful~." A man stepped out of a coffin that was leaning upright against the wall. The man was wearing a dark hat, a long, cloak-like shirt, and his face, more of just his eyes, were covered by bangs. His hair was quite long, a silverish-gray color.

I found myself staring at this man. He must have noticed because he amusingly asked, "See something~ you like~? Hehe~."

The way he laughed after he spoke made me smile.

"No, well, yes, but what I mean is-" I stopped talking.

Why am I stammering? I thought. Not even Mr. Spears can make me stammer.

The man simply smiled. "What's your name, sir?" I asked, wondering if this was who Mr. Spears wanted me to find.

"Why~, didn't you~ read the sign~ outside~?"

"I thought that was just the name of the shop," I said, still feeling embarrassed.

The man, I mean, the Undertaker, shook his head, still smiling. "Are you the so-called 'legendary' Grim Reaper?" I blurted out the question, watching his expression go from a silly grin to a grim stare. At least, I think he was staring at me.

"Yes," the Undertaker said, his playful and mysterious tone had left his voice. "Why do you ask, dear?"

Oh, joy, he's still calling me dear, I thought.

"Mr. Spears sent me to find you, to start my advanced training as a Reaper. He said you'd help me," I replied, my thoughts drawn to the reasons why this man would help.

"Why~, my dear~, would I~ do that~?" the Undertaker asked, his playful tone creeping back into his voice.

"Because of my past. And what he told me of yours," I answered, watching his face turn even paler than it already was.

I felt that he wasn't convinced. I pushed myself out of the coffin, which was actually quite comfortable, and walked up to him, and placed my hands on both sides of his head.

"This is going to hurt. Just a little," I lied at the last part.

I closed my eyes and focused, sending my dreadful childhood memories into his mind. I must have let them flow for too long because when I opened my eyes and removed my hands, the Undertaker had slid to his knees and sat there on the floor, nearly ghost-white and trembling.

I dropped to my knees and picked his fallen hat up off the ground. Feeling guilty for causing this (I truly felt guilty), I busied myself with brushing the dirt off his hat as I spoke,

"I-I apologize. I did not believe you were convinced. If you wish the memories gone-"

"No~, it's quite~ alright. Now~ I'll~ be able able to~ understand you~ better~," the Undertaker said, looking up at me. I saw his eyes as soon as he looked at me. I must have dropped his hat or he took it, because the next thing I knew, his hat was in his hands and he had put it on my head. His eyes were beautiful when they were half-closed, giving him a dangerous yet handsome look.

"S-sir, I'm not sure I understand," I said, getting lost in his wondrous eyes.

"Now, now~, if you're~ going to stay~ here~ then you'll not~ be calling me sir~. I'm Undertaker~. That's what you will~ call me~," the Undertaker said, the tone in his voice made me want to kiss him. The tone was the same as it was before. It just sounded and felt different when his eyes were visible.