Chapter 13

A few hours later, I arrived at the Grim Reaper Academy to take my final exam. I was to go on a harvest, get the soul I am assigned to, then return for my results. I walked down the dull white hallway, my beloved madman holding my left hand. I only had my training scythe, as that is all I ever had. William had told me I had the option of using my magic abilities, or acquire a Death Scythe when I arrived at the Academy.

Once in the room, I was instructed to take a seat. The only chair available was a lone, isolated one in the middle of the room. I sat down there. I was not afraid and I was not nervous. Those were emotions that I would allow to arise after the exam. I was told to close my eyes and to focus on a favored weapon. I did precisely this. I imagined twin pistols. I quite enjoyed long-ranged weapons, especially those that are fast. I was then instructed to imagine them in my open hands. I did exactly this, and I felt something settle into my hands. I was told to open my eyes, and I did. There, in my hands, were two silver pistols. My initials were carved into the sides of the two.

A few moments later, William came in, telling me to get changed into something I would be comfortable running and fighting in. I closed my eyes, imagined myself in black tights, a black skirt, tight black boot-like heels, a suit-like shirt, and a belt to clip my new Scythes onto. William was agitated that I smirked as I opened my eyes. Without another word, William led me outside the Academy, gave me a folder, and walked off. I assumed he was still angry with Undertaker and I. He had taken my training scythe once I got my new ones.

I quickly hugged Undertaker, allowing him to give me a kiss on my cheek, then disappeared to my assigned location. I was to take the soul of a man by the name of Fred Abberline. I did not know the man, so I did not expect to feel sorrow. I felt it, anyway. I was to stay hidden, as this was a more stealthy type of harvest.

I waited behind a building until Abberline began to die, then, with my new Scythes, I shot him in the heart, the shot silenced. His Records appeared, and they seeped into my Scythes. Afterwards, I went back to the Academy, hating the sight of the dying man. He died protecting that boy I had met not too long ago; Ciel Phantomhive.

When I returned, Undertaker rushed over to me, his hands gripping my waist as he lifted me into the air and spun. I was shocked by this sudden burst of joy and I laughed. It was perfect! Yet, it did not last.