Who Else Could it have Been

tw: death, stabbing, body part mutilation, imprisonment, panic attacks

wc: 1.1k, wow

Grian watcher angst! Requested by Hermitdere32 (thank you for the support throughout this journey so far!) but I probably would have done it sooner or later anyway :P This doesn't have a happy ending sorry lol. 

Enjoy!

Grian strolled nonchalantly through the streets of Hermitville. It was a quiet afternoon. The sun shone brightly amidst white clouds, the sky bluer than forget-me-not flowers. 

It was perfect. Grian closed his eyes, breathing in the scent of... magic residue?

His head snapped to the left, where he picked up a trace of magic. Panic rose in Grian's chest and he quickly ran in its direction, his Watcher uniform melting over his normal outfit. He was almost there, he could feel the Watcher's presence-

He burst through the bushes to see a Watcher raise its bedrock knife over an unsuspecting Mumbo Jumbo.

"NO!" Grian screamed, lunging forward, trying to get there before the Watcher could bring it down. He was half successful and managed to save Mumbo from getting stabbed in the back, but he couldn't stop the course of the knife entirely.

A gasp of surprise and agony escaped Mumbo's lips. The redstoner looked down, ever so slightly, staring at the blood seeping on the side of his shirt. Mumbo let out a scream of pure pain and fear.

"WHAT DID YOU DO?!" Grian shrieked, grabbing the wrists of the offending Watcher. It merely smiled, still holding the bedrock dagger. Mumbo looked faint from the amount of blood gushing from the wound

There was a flurry of motion, and suddenly the Watcher was gone. Grian stood there, stunned, when a slow pain started working its way into his eye. In a flash, the pain began to sear, and Grian shrieked, bringing his hands up to press them to his bleeding eye. 

He fell next to where Mumbo lay. Blood poured from between his right hand's fingers, but he suddenly noticed something else.

A bedrock dagger clutched in his left hand.

Voices came from somewhere far away as Grian's left eye vision swam. He blinked, then cried again from the agony of his eye.

"Mumbo!"

"G-Grian?"

~~~

Grian cracked his eyes open. His right eye's agony had been dulled to a throb, but he could tell it was from painkillers. But he didn't have much time to think about that.

His left eye was fine, but his right- it just- it wasn't working. He couldn't see anything from it. It wasn't darkness, it wasn't white. It was simply... nothing.  Panic twisted his stomach.

When he tried to stand, his legs gave out under him. He looked up, his left eyesight blurry, and saw... bars?

"Help!" he cried. No response.

"I can't see!" Grian screamed, a tear escaping his normal eye. He began to pull at the bars, pound the floor. He couldn't walk, he'd fall over. He would reach for something and miss. His breath began to come in short gasps and his skin was covered in a sheen of sweat. Grian groped uselessly at the bars, crying for someone to help.

Finally, someone came. Someone... dressed in black. Who dressed in black? Mumbo did, but this person seemed uninjured. Impulse? No, this person was wearing a long-sleeved black cloak and pants. It looked like a mourning outfit.