The Girl Named for the Earth

wc: 546

This was inspired by a prophecy from the Bible: "A voice is heard in Ramah, mourning and great weeping, Rachel weeping for her children and refusing to be comforted, for they are no more."

I do own a Bible. I am not a religious person, but I have read some stories in it, and I really enjoyed those. Not in the biblical context, but I like the authenticity of it, and the repetition and the style of the story. This story is inspired by the prophecy, but is NOT A CHRISTIAN STORY. please do not destroy me in the comments for using it as a prompt. Idk who Rachel is but let's ignore that. Hope you like this new style.

If I tell you this story... will you promise to keep it secret? The story of the girl named for the earth. 

There were three children, born all at once from one mother. They were the boy named for the sun, the girl named for the moon, and the girl named for the earth.

The boy was fire and chaos and joy. He was the eldest and the bravest. He was the flaming ball of energy, like the sun he was named for.

The girl named for the moon was serenity and peace. She was beautiful and calm, the constant glow of quiet, like the moon she was named for.

The girl named for the earth was never known. She never grew. Her life was like a candle, smothered only so long after it was kindled.

For on the night, the night they called the Wailing Night, for the wails of the mothers and children around the village echoed through the valley,

for on the Wailing Night, the girl named for the earth's candle was smothered.

The king, in fear of a prophecy one of his men had seen, had sent out all of his soldiers to kill every child under three years old.

The mother, in desperation, hid each of her children in a separate spot. The boy named for the sun was concealed upstairs in the attic, the girl named for the moon downstairs in the basement, and the girl named for the earth in a closet on the main floor.

When the soldiers came, with their lists of families, they went to each door and knocked. After a moment, the cries of children and mothers and families could be heard.

A soldier knocked on the mother's door. And he said, 

"Have you the child born on the second day of the second month?"

And she begged, and she pleaded, but he found the girl named for the earth, hidden dutifully in that little closet on the first floor.

And he took her

And his sword came down

down 

down

and both mother and child let out screams that could have blackened the sun.

Long after the soldier had left, the boy named for the sun and the girl named for the moon came out and went to their mother. They didn't understand.

Why was their sister lying in bed, not opening her eyes, not responding to their touch?

Why, when father came home, not say a word to either children, just run up to their room and cry?

What was this purple substance, sticky and warm, that coated the living room floor? They didn't like it, so they didn't touch it.

It was gone the next morning.

They went to a willow tree by the brook, and buried the little girl named for the earth.

And they marked it with a tombstone, and on it was written the name of the little girl named for the earth.

The two young children didn't understand why they were pulled into a room

why their mother was crying

why she held up her hand

why she produced that ball of magi-

what were they thinking about again?

And so many years later, the boy named for the sun and the girl named for the moon

They went to the willow by the brook and found that tombstone.

And Grian and PearlescentMoon could not remember who Kristen was, who the girl named for the earth was.

kRiStEn???

yeah. Idk why, but why not

hope y'all liked this different style. It was really interesting and fun to write :3

If you have any requests, please comment!

Have a good day or night, wherever you are!

-Ete