Too Nice

wc: 841

tw: death

stress' turn!! :3 I love her

this takes place in their middle school years, if it helps. 

Some asked why Stress was so nice. Actually, there were many reasons why.

For one, there was no such thing as "too nice". Stress was just generally kind! Why did people seem to have any problems with it?

Besides, Stress hadn't always been that nice. Sure, she was always cheerful and easy to get along with.  However the one thing that had made her outstandingly generous was... well, her mother.

Okay, it sounded cheesy.

But since she was little, Stress had never seen much of her mother. Happy memories were always made every time they did get to spend time together, but as time went on, her mother stayed in bed more and more and with Stress, less and less. Her mother was sick and tired, her father working so hard to support them all, which left Stress to work for herself at school and cook and clean.

She was fine! Her family situation didn't affect her. Right.

Well, whether it did or didn't, it never showed where it mattered. It was those little things that told Stress that her life was not normal. 

For example, when her friends told her about huge family gatherings, or fun vacations, or laughing really hard over some family member's shenanigans. Or bedtime kisses, or stories, or seeing the lunch their parents had made them.

Whatever the case, she'd kept it to herself. Stress didn't want to seem whiny or obnoxious, so she just didn't mention her family.

One fateful Friday morning, Stress was walking to school, her hands tucked into the pocket of her pink jacket. It was chilly, but she could bear it.

"Stress!" 

She looked up and saw her school friend False flying above her with those new elytra, her parents behind her. The three landed, and when False stumbled a bit, her father righted her.

"Good morning False!" Stress said. "Good morning, Mr. and Ms. Symmetry."

"How lovely to see you, Stress!" Ms. Symmetry said with a smile. Stress always liked Ms. Symmetry, who felt like a second mother.

"Can I walk the rest of the way with Stress?" False asked, her eyes hopeful. Her parents looked at each other and nodded. 

"We'll have more time to get to work," Mr. Symmetry said, "So just stay safe. Have a good day!" 

Mr. Symmetry kissed False on the top of the head and the parents flew off.

Stress watched this with blank eyes. When was the last time her mother had left the house? She couldn't remember.

"Let's go Stress!" False said, taking her hand and pulling her down the street.

Stress giggled. 

After a little bit of walking and chatting, False said, "I'm so glad it's a Friday! I love weekends."

"I hate weekends," Stress said, the words flying out of her mouth before she could bite them back. 

False turned to her in confusion. "Why?" she asked. 

Stress thought of staying at home, studying by herself. She thought of cooking dinner while her mother groaned with headaches in her parents room and her father coming home at 11 pm. She thought of the loneliness.

"I like it better with you guys," Stress said with the most cheerful tone she could muster.

"But you do like being home rather than at school," False said. It was more of a statement.

"No," Stress said. She wasn't angry, but her internal box was going to explode with the amount of secrets it contained. "Home is too lonely."

"It can't be that bad," False said with a shrug.

"It can," Stress replied before she realized she'd said it. Because, to be honest, her life wasn't as bad as other peoples'. She still had both her parents. They had a house. They could fend for themselves.

But...

It was that bad.

False stared at her. "What's wrong, Stress?"

"What's wrong?" Stress asked with a dry laugh. "My mom seems so sick that she's dying, but we don't have the money to take her to the hospital. My dad leaves at 5 and gets back at 11. I have to study myself, cook myself, clean myself, walk myself, do everything myself. Free time? Never heard of it! Always having to run around! Always having to do everything alone! THAT'S what's wrong."

And she walked off by herself, leaving a stunned False in her wake.

School ended with Stress barely talking to False. She wasn't angry! No. She just needed time alone. Cleo had looked between the two in mild confusion, but didn't push it. 

If Stress was at rock bottom by the time she got home, she would have delved into Earth's core at the sight she saw.

Her mother was on the floor. The phone dangled from the wall, as if she'd been trying to call someone. Her hands were clasped to her chest, her eyes wide.

And unblinking.

And dull.

Stress stared, turned, and retched on the ground in front of the door. What followed were waterfalls of tears and screaming. 

Because her mother was dead now.

That was why Stress was so nice! Her friends had been wrong about her predicament, why wouldn't she get it wrong about others? You never knew what someone was going through. So Stress was just always nice.

Did it matter?

didya like it? :3

REQUESTS? please comment any

istg my computer sounds like a campfire im watching Grian watcher animatic on one tab scar's new vid on another two Wattpad tabs open and ao3, my essay for my writing class, and my zoom meeting which I am totally paying attention to. I should probably delete something but nO Wattpad and ao3 and YouTube are crucial for my survival.

have a good day or night wherever you are!

-Ete