No Longer Brothers

wc: 1147

NOT PROOFREAD LOL

tw: some form of death

hope y'all enjoy this, thanks for 1k reads on The First Step, my other book. Check it out if you're interested.

Xisuma and Xanthus, or Evil X

Xisuma strolled through the halls of the admin college. He waved to this teacher, smiled at that girl, chatted with a friend.

"X!" he heard a voice call from behind him. Xisuma tried not to cringe. 

"I gotta go," he said to Grian. The red sweatered admin-in-training nodded and walked away, throwing a glance back at X. 

Xisuma sighed and turned around. His twin stood in front of him, his red eyes expectant and excited. A flame always seemed to be trapped in those eyes.

"Hey, Xan," X said, trying to keep the annoyance out of his voice. It wasn't that he didn't like Xanthus, it was just... 

Xisuma had the grades, the teachers, the girls, the looks. He was expected to be valedictorian when graduation came around and always knew the right answers and the right thing too say. On the other hand, Xanthus was lazy and didn't care. He excelled at hacking, but other than that, he... not much.

Xan had been popular before. He did have a certain charm and a good sense of humor. But when he and Xisuma began to clash, the others took the more perfect brother rather than the more flawed one.

"I was wondering if you..." Xanthus swallowed. "Could help me study for my history exam?"

Xisuma glanced around, anywhere but Xan. "Er... I have an... important magic study test coming up. Do you...?"

Xan's face fell. Xisuma felt an old pang of guilt. "Never mind. I can study by myself. It's fine." He gave a small, half hearted laugh and walked away.

X watched him go with a strange look. After a moment, he moved on to go to his class. There was no test, but X thought it was for the better. If he had to study with Xan, he'd probably lose his patience.

As the days stretched on, Xan kept meeting X after the third class. It was an old habit. The brothers always met then, ever since they'd started college. But as Xisuma slowly became icy towards his brother, Xan stopped meeting him.

Xisuma didn't know what to feel about that. He didn't know what to feel about a lot of things these days. But there were... more important troubles than his brother. Exams were coming up.

So Xisuma immersed himself in books and studying, and when it was over, X was valedictorian.

As he gave his speech, X found himself scanning the crowd for one particular face. He was a little surprised, maybe a little crestfallen, when he saw his brother was not among the sea of admiring  faces.

Then X became admin of Hermitcraft after observing Biffa and finally getting his permit. And it happened. Xan came back. 

"Xisuma!" X turned, surprised at the voice. It was not a hermit, he didn't recognize it.

"Who ar- Xan?" Xisuma said blankly, staring at his counterpart.

Xanthus's white hair was now in a ponytail and his red eyes still flashed with the same excitement. He wore a red suit, unlike X's green, but he had no helmet at the moment.

"It took a while to get through the barrier!" Xanthus rambled a bit. "But I managed to wiggle my way through... you've got a heck of a lot of security!" He wandered around X's base. Xisuma could only watch him, speechless. "Also, the bases here are very big. And the hermits are very rich. Do you think they'd like me? I want a cookie. By the way, I got a cat. My new favorite color is red. Is yours green?" 

Xisuma blinked at the sudden question. "I- I-"

"You never talked to me after you left for Hermitcraft," Xan continued to ramble. "I kinda missed you. I'm hungry. Do you have any cookies? Also how do you make the code barrier strong? To be a good hacker, ya gotta know how to set it all up so you can break it all down, you know?"

"Quiet!" Xisuma suddenly burst out. Xanthus fell silent, looking a bit sheepish. "How did you get here?"

Xanthus blinked. "Oh, that's simple. First I disabled the hacker sensor system that detects unknown code. Then I destabilized the [insert coding gibberish] and hacked the f-"

"NEVER MIND!" Xisuma shouted. Xanthus went quiet again. "Just... why are you here?"

"You're... my brother?" Xanthus said cautiously. "I... missed you."

Xisuma blinked. "Oh..."

There was a silence.

"Sorry, but... I'm gonna have to ask you to leave." Xanthus sat up, shocked.

"I... I don't have anywhere else to go!" he cried. "Nobody wants to take me!"

"You should have studied harder," Xisuma said coldly. It was true, Xan never focused, no matter what Xisuma told him. Xanthus was just reaping the consequences of his hard work, or lack thereof.

"I can't," Xan mumbled.

"But you're gonna have to go," Xisuma said again. "I can't have you here."

"Why?!" Xanthus cried. Xisuma opened his mouth to say something, then realized the reason I don't want you here would not suffice.

"See?! There is no good reason!" Xanthus said accusingly. "You never liked me! I was beginning to fade, Xisuma. You wouldn't have cared though, would you?" Xisuma flinched at that. When a player, no matter the status, stayed out of a server for too long, they just... faded away.

"I would've!" Xisuma protested, although halfheartedly.

"No you wouldn't!" Xanthus stood up, his fists balled. "I've tried so hard to get you to love me! To help me! Each time you just push me away! And then I turn around and see you having all this fun with the hermits, yet you refuse to even look at your own brother!"

"That's enough," Xisuma said coldly. "If I let you stay, what good would you bring to the server? What could you contribute? You don't know Redstone, you don't know building."

Xanthus opened his mouth, closed it, then turned away, his lips clamped tight together. Xisuma was surprised to see a tear escape from Xanthus' eye.

"You won't even give me refuge," he said. "You'd rather me fade. I guess I'll fade!"

However, before he left, he said, "But I'm taking as many hermits as I can with me."

~time skip~

Xisuma's breathing was heavy. Xanthus had been banished. He was gone. 

The hermits helped X back to his base and made him get some sleep, but all Xisuma could think about was his brother. That had been real hatred in his red eyes. Not just hatred... longing, sorrow. If only...

If only...

Xanthus was now left to try and find a server. That would be difficult, after the admin of Hermitcraft banned him.

A few weeks later, a letter came.

Dear Xisumavoid,

We are sorry to inform you that all code relating to your brother Xanthusvoid has been lost. We offer our condolences. You are the only remaining relative of Xanthusvoid, and have rights to any property he may have left behind. Please inform us if you wish to make any actions about this.

Our condolences,

Minecraft developer Notch

Xisuma crumpled to his knees, his emotions and angers finally coming out in the form of tears pouring out of his eyes.

Thank you for reading! Hope you enjoyed, its fun to write angst >:D

Have a good day or night wherever you are <3

-Ete