.13.

Chapter-13
Confrontations.

"What happened?" Rahul carefully asked the kid. He felt awkward as they didn't speak from the time they came to the tea stall.
"I went overboard." That's all the 14 year old replied.
"With aunty?" He asked.
"Yeah. And with Ranjani aunty and Riya too." Anant replied his head, hung low.

Rahul's fist clenched as he heard that. The kid had done something that had affected Ranjani's previous mood. He wanted to know everything then and there.
"Why? What did you do?" He raised his voice a bit. Anant shivered a bit.
"I shouldn't have told somethings. I feel guilty." He whispered.

"What things?" Rahul asked patiently again.
"About you leaving Anju di. Honestly, I still don't forgive you for what you did. But, I know that you left for a reason. And I shouted at Maa because she said she sent you and Riya away." Anant told.

It was like a bucket of cold water splashed right across the face for Rahul. His past, his agony in Mumbai, and then leaving the town, everything came running back to his mind.
"What else did aunty say?" He asked.
"Just that. She became unconscious before she could say anything." Anant replied.

"Well, now what changed your mind?" Rahul coldly gazed at the boy.
"Riya said about your condition." As soon as the words left his mouth, Rahul snapped his head at him. He was met by a caring gaze of a 14 year old. Not sympathy. That's what he liked about Anjali too. She cared about him, and did not sympathise.

"Don't talk about this to her." Rahul pleaded.
"No no bhaiyya. I won't. But, was it the reason for your sudden leaving?" Anant curiously questioned.
"No." Rahul shook his head.

"Whatever the reason was, she has the right to know. I don't want to intrude between your issues but, she is also vulnerable." Anant sighed.
"What? Why?" Rahul furrowed his brows.

"She was diagnosed by congenital heart disease 6 months back. So, she had to stop her college. And now, the day you came back, it was confirmed that she had cancer too because of the previous disease." He blurted out.

And the world stopped spinning for Rahul.

His Anjali was dying soon.

-------------------

"Maa!" Anjali ran inside and found her mother slowly opening her eyes.
"I'm so sorry. I wasn't there for you." She broke down and sat beside the woman who was her everything.
"Anju, don't cry beta. I'm fine." Anuradha groggily replied. She was giving into the sleep because of the medicines.

"Anjali, baccha she's fine. Stop crying." Ranjani soothed her.
"How's she? Did you operate her? What are the medications?" Anjali bombarded Ranjani with her questions.
"I'll take care of all the medicines, and don't worry we didn't operate her. CPR was enough. She'll be fine after a day's rest." Anjali hugged her other mother.

"Common Anjali, don't worry now." Anuradha said in a strict tone.
"Maa, what about Riya? And Aarna! She doesn't like being at home alone." She started to ramble.
"Then you and Anant go home. Be with them." Anuradha said.

"No Maa. I'll be here." Anant who had returned from the small tea break told.
"Anant, I'm-"
"I'm sorry aunty. I'm sorry Maa." The boy started to cry. Seeing her son guilty made Anuradha tear up. She stretched her hands as her lad came running to her. He hugged his mother and all the sadness vanished.

"I'm so sorry Anant. As soon as we go home, we'll talk about it." She whispered so that only he could hear. She didn't wanted to stress Anjali more.
"Maa, what's with everyone blaming this idiot? Did he do something?" Anjali questioned.
"Nothing Anju." Ranjani chuckled.

"You and Akshaya di go home. I'll stay here with aunty and Maa." Anant waved his hand.
"Yes sir." Anjali rolled her eyes and smiled. Finally a smile crept upon Anuradha's face after a long time. Seeing her kids laughing, she felt at peace.

"Maa!" Rahul stormed in with blazing eyes and entered the room. Three pairs of eyes stared at him with terror while one, the one which he liked the most, was worried.
"I need to have a word Mrs.Singh. Right now." He said and went away.
"This day can't get anymore weird." Anjali murmured.

But Ranjani's thudding heart didn't catch anyone's attention.

--------------------

"Akshaya! Hey!" Her sister's bestfriend Vrinda chirped in the call, while Akshaya was sitting on the steps of her home's courtyard.
"Hey Di." She replied slowly.
"What happened? Is Anju alright?" Alarmed, Vrinda immediately asked.

"Nothing happened to her Di. She's perfectly alright, for now." Akshaya sighed at the last part. She looked at her sister who had taken a head bath, and worn the green and purple colour half saree. With all the devotion, Anjali circled the Tulasi plant infront of her house thrice and prayed infront of the sacred god.

"Then why does your voice sound like you murdered someone and you're damn guilty about it now!" Vrinda chuckled but the 17 year old didn't have time for humor.
"Di, Maa was admitted to the hospital. She had a light stroke because of some drama that Anant directed. Now she's alright. She's getting discharged tomorrow evening." Akshaya gave the details.

"Oh.My.God! Where's your sister? She's defenitely getting it from me." Vrinda seethed. She was so angry on Anjali for not informing her beforehand. Infact, Anjali didn't contact anyone since the prank that she pulled on Rahul near the cemetery. She wanted to feel the solitude for sometime.

"She's here. After her pooja, I'll ask her to call you but Di, Anant told everything to Maa and Ranjani aunty. They were arguing about the reason of Rahul bhaiyya's sudden shift to Mumbai an hour before. And then Anant blamed aunty and it took another turn. Maa said she was the one who forced aunty to send Rahul bhaiyya and Riya away." She whispered.

"Holy f**k! So much happened. Okay, I understood Akki. I'm not gonna utter a word infront of your sister. But I guess it's time I visit Ooty. It's been so long." Vrinda said determined. She wanted to be there If the truth was going to come out. Not to unveil the mystery but to be as a support to her friend.

And she'd defenitely do that.

----------------------

"What's this?" Rahul coolly asked sitting on his mother's chair in her cabin.
"What?" Ranjani looked at her son wearily.
"I said what is this!" He threw the reports on to the ground so that his mother could have a clear picture of what he was referring to. Her long kept secret.

"Now I understand why Gagana warned me about her. So this was it. To enjoy the great Anjali Sharma's last days you call her long lost ex, Rahul Singh, who also happens to be on the death bed, to this deranged place." He chuckled.

"Rahul-"
"No Maa. Let me talk. Firstly, Anjali's mother sends me and my sister away from her daughter and family so that you all could live in peace, against my feelings. Even after knowing that I had cancer 4 months back, you didn't call me. Why now?" Rahul stormed.

Ranjani couldn't suffice it anymore. She needed to release all the weight she's been carrying for 8 years.

"Because of your father." She whispered.
"What! That man died even before I was born!" He beseeched.

"He's alive." Ranjani whispered.

To be continued