.18.

Chapter-18
Shell-shocked.

"What do you think you're doing!" Rahul stormed down to the hall as he saw Anjali holding his mother's favourite Italian vase.
"I think I don't like this masterpiece sitting idly on the table anymore. I want to acquaint it with the floor." She replied casually.
"Woah! Sassy enough bro!" Another male voice perked her ears up.

She had immediately left the market after finding her brother. She had to know why he was keeping so many things to himself. Things that concerned to both of them.
"You will not do any such thing." His dazzling gaze though made her knees weak, she restrained any kind of submission.

"No. I won't until you tell me what happened with Anant and you the other day in the hospital." She said equally throwing daggers at him.
"Ehm, the tension in the air is very thick. I think I'm gonna step out." Abhi said gaining their attention finally.
"You don't need to. Ask your friend to answer me and I'll leave this hellhole." Anjali seethed.

"Tch tch Anjali. The place where your darling Ranjani Maa, and your new found little devil Riya lives is a hellhole? How could you be so cruel!" Rahul mocked.
The increase in temper tempted Anjali to throw the vase down at that instant. But she just stared at him like a dumb girl.

"Cat got tongue?" He mischeviously questioned her again. This time, she lost her cool. She kept the vase down on the table and faced him again. But this time, Rahul felt a chill down his spine. Because the anger in Anjali's eyes were cold and distant. He might have gone overboard.

"You're invited to the pooja I suppose. And I'll be glad if you don't come and spread your loathsome negativity there. Because it's conducted for our family's health. You don't care anyways. So I do not want your presence anywhere near me or my family." She declared and turned away.

Abhimanyu's playful expression turned into a fearful remorse. He was enjoying the show and didn't intervene to stop them. It made him feel tremendously guilty. So he ran behind her ignoring the warning of his bestfriend.

"Hey!" On the abrupt call, Anjali stopped and faced Abhimanyu.
"I'm sorry about him. He's just a bit insensitive." He admitted scratching his neck.
"I guess I figured that out the day I met him long back." Anjali said indifferently and both of them giggled slightly.

"Abhimanyu." He introduced and she nodded approvingly.
"Anjali." She said and he smiled.
"Maybe you're not that bad, not considering your choice in friendship." She said and he laughed out loud.
"He's got bad mood swings than a pregnant lady. So I've got adjusted to his tantrums." Abhi said.

"Yeah. Tell me about it." Anjali sighed.
"Anju! When did you return?" Her mother's voice slightly startled her as she turned towards her house door.
"Maa! Yeah. Riya and Aarna found Anant so they're returning with them. I was a little bit exhausted so I came back early." She lied easily.

"Okay. Get inside and wash your face." She eyed Abhimanyu suspiciously.
"And Maa, this is Abhimanyu, the dev- Rahul's friend. He's come from Mumbai." She said smiling as Anuradha relaxed slightly. She knew her mother was feeling worried seeing her interacting with a stranger.

"Oh hello beta." She smiled warmly.
"Hello aunty. I heard that you're having a pooja today." He added. Anjali winced inwardly hearing pooja. She had asked him not to be there, in anger. And now, she wished she'd taken back those words.
"Yeah. For the families welfare. Please do attend it beta." Anuradha requested.